1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stripes Are For Zebras

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FastMan, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

I try to do that as well. Turn around off the grass

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Excellent looking work bro!
    I always try to turn off lawn if at all possible. It just looks so much more professional, and the stripes look a lot cleaner IMO.

3. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

well I rarely tear turf. when its extremely wet I just do a 3 point turn.

if you turn on a driveway or sidewalk you rub grass into it and then leave a green stain. at least in my experiences. I've never been able to keep grass off the turf wet or dry.

4. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

an you explain a little more in what you mean by that statement?

5. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

there's always clippings that get on the tires or just blown on the sidewalk or driveway from mowing or trimming.

when making a zero turn the tires grind those blades of grass into the concrete and it either makes a green stain or the clippings get stuck where my blower won't move them.

the clippings not moving with my blower could change this season though as I did purchase a br600 this fall for leaves. so I'm going from a br400 to a br600 so clippings being stubborn may no longer be a problem.

the other reason to avoid turning on hard surfaces is the longevity of your tires.

p.s.

just caught what orange is saying. it was suppose to be I've never been able to keep grass off the sidewalk/driveway.

6. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I know when mulching it makes a mess on hard surfaces, so in that case I would try to stay off of them,especially when you turn off the blades and all the crap under the deck falls down and gargles out the sides, yeah thats a mess, but otherwise it just looks nicer if you lines go to the end. I dont think your bigger blower will help much I have on and sometimes the stuff is just stuck/painted on. I agree on the tires to an extent, Im sure it contibutes to the wear, but so long as you not doing burn outs, and wheelies it shouldnt make too much off a difference.

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Stripes are just something that happens here on our northern lawns, and since they're happening anyway you kind of have to go with it. Sometimes I wish my mowers didn't stripe so I wouldn't have to pay so much attention to straight lines. I've never had a customer complain about them though. I love making it look like I drove right through an obstacle in a lawn.

8. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

I 've tried everything on my mower to eliminate stripping to no avail:cry: they're a pain in the you know what ,especially when working around yards with several tree beds and having to aline the stripes on the opposite side
    in an efficient manner to minimize burning time.

9. Scagman 48

Scagman 48 LawnSite Senior Member

my sh*ttiest lawns stripe and my customers go nuts thats why my Christmas bonus is more than i get for mowing. i ended up installing a big league on my cub cadet this past season and plan on throwing it on my new scag. 4 things people like to see no grass clumps, clean edging/trimming, good blowing, and lawn stripes. It makes there yard stand out from their neighbor. Its only a competition in suburbia :laugh:

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Keeping grass off turf is an ongoing battle for me too. :laugh: