Stripes Are For Zebras

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FastMan, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

It's always nice to change directions...

534142_3314286089222_1293054049_n.jpg

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Man, who wouldn't love that? I switch directions every week. No rutting and a nice pattern shows up.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

It's not easy to stay that straight on a lawn like that...nice job!!

4. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

I switch it up wherever possible-but some properties dictate I use the same pattern, like this 3 tiered front that slopes on the side as well, with a walk down the center.

fine pix 021.jpg

5. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I prefer a spotless sidewalk/driveway vs my stripes going to the end.

the only time my tires touch the concrete is when I'm going to or from the trailer or crossing from one section of turf to another.

the stuck on clippings and grass stains aren't worth making the stripes go to the end. at least not to me.

I would call that the vertical pattern from looking at the house from the street. so couldn't you also do the horizontal pattern.

I can see why no diagonal pattern would be used but I would think you could use the horizontal pattern.

6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Concrete, what's that? It's much less of an issue here because there's very little concrete used, asphalt instead. Exposed concrete surfaces do poorly in our climate.

7. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

all I have is concrete. rarely is asphalt used for driveways and I've never seen a asphalt sidewalk and most everyone has a sidewalk.

grass clippings stick like a beotch to concrete if you run over them with your tires.

8. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

That property is probably the hardest lawn I maintain. Any error is easily noticed...
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

yup, the wide-open larger spaces are the trickiest.

fine pix 002.jpg

10. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I hate to critic, but didnt anyine notice the huge scalps and high spots on Groomer's picture (the one with the 3 tiered lawn), ouch. Its tough when the lawn slopes up so quickly, sometimes I'll go sideways on those slopes and then go over it again kind of hovering to make the lines but not really cutting, because its already cut and try not to scalp, other than that looks good.