Stripes - Checkmate Striping Unit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RobH, May 16, 2003.

1. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I was looking at the checkmate lawn striping unit for my 48" Scag Walk-behind. They recommend that you get a roller that closely matches the outside width of the drive tires.

By doing that you wouldn't be getting the full striping effect with each pass. I think that would then make the stripes look funny. Of the 48" stripe, about 40" would be with the checkmate and about 4" or so on either side of the stripe would not be as defined.

They say that if you go wider that it makes it more difficult when you are going around tight areas like walls or foundations.

When you go to their demo on their website the guy running the walk behind has a very wide roller (as wide as his entire stripe).

Therefore, would it be a waste to get a roller that is only as wide as the drive tires?

I think my mower already stripes well, but I wouldn't mind making my stripes more defined.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Checkmate and it works very well. The reason you don't need the roller to go to the outside of the tires is because the tires are already rolling the grass over. You can order the roller so it goes to the outside of the tires but it is just a waste of good money.

3. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

Actually, on a 48" W/B the deck is wider than the drive tires. Therefore, I don't see how you would get the full effect of the checkmate if you don't get a 48" checkmate, which in essence would be wider than the outermost edge of the drive tires.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You do not want the Checkmate to stick out beyond the tires. A friend of mine caught his on a light pole base and it destroyed the Checkmate.

Unless you are making passes at 48" widths then it really shouldn't be an issue. We had a lawn competition last year and the best guy there, under very controlled conditions, still had a 3" overlap. The average overlap was 4.66". Remember, these guys knew they were competing to see who could cut with the least amount of overlap.