Stripes from new Lazer HP.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by RayoVac, May 26, 2005.

1. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

I finally got to cut with my new Exmark Lazer HP tonight. Before judging the yard... please know:

- It has been very dry here... and I have not gotten the sprinklers out yet.
    - I have not been able to put down any "weed and feed" yet do to vacation and shoulder surgery.
    - My neighbor mowed my lawn last week (due to my shoulder) with his Kubota Tractor. The grass was VERY tall and he does not have a Catcher.

So I was not only mowing... but sucking up all the debris from last week.
    Considering how dry and messed up everything was... I thought it striped quite well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do think the Hp was WAAY more maneuverable then my previous Grasshopper 618 front mount. There were a few spots under some trees I could not reach with the Exmark that the GH could. Overall I think the Exmark cut much cleaner then my GH did... and of course the striping roller does not hurt.

The lazer is much more sensitive in the steering then my GH was. But by the time I got half the yard done I was getting used to it. I am not sure how I feel about the ROPS, I don't need it as my property is flat with no ditches... but the lights are mounted on it, even when I had the GH... I found myself mowing after dark often... so I use the lights.

Let me know what you guys think. Once things green up and I start to get better stripes going... I will post results.

2. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

I think those stripes look really good given the conditions. I can only imagine how they'll look when the grass is really green.

3. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

Thanks Glenn,

I also noticed when I took the pictures of the back yard... that gold wash of color you see coming across the yard, at first I was like "what the heck.." then I realized it was the sunset coming across the lake. Sure made the yard look browner then it really is. :rolleyes:

4. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

I agree, considering this was your 1st cut and your conditions, those stripes look pretty good! Gotta love Exmark, huh?! :cool2:

p.s. - Just curious, when your deck is in the cutting position, what's the distance from the bottom of your roller to concrete? I've been experimenting with my roller elevation this year and was wondering. Thx.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

GripB
    Hows the roller testing going? Have a great Holliday!! Rayovac Great Stripes.
    John

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I would remove the ROPS since you're just using it on your own lawn and it's flat. Just mount the lights somewhere else down on the mower.

Did you say you're catching the grass? Any special reason?

And just a tip, when taking photos of the stripes on your lawn, take the photo with the sun at your back. This angle shows the contrast of the stripes best.

You'll have to get us some more pics when the grass greens up a bit.

7. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

Totally agree with the ROPS removal... without the ROPS... I could also loose the counter balance weight on the front for bagging. This is needed becuase of the extra weight the ROPS adds plus the bagger. I need to figure out another place for the lights. Limited open frame space on the HP.

Bagging is pretty essential. We live on a lake and in the mowing seaon, we play on the lake. Plus I have a dog. If I mulch or throw... when we come in from the lake with wet feet, or when the dog comes in we drag the clippings in with us. So bagging is the only way to go.

8. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Got it all figured out John:waving: Havn't been on this forum that much lately.

Stripes-3 resize.jpg

9. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Another shot

Stripes-4 resize.jpg

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Very Nice:waving: