stripes left in lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by big_belly4ever, Jun 17, 2008.

1. big_belly4ever

big_belly4ever LawnSite Member

JUST STARTED HAVING MY AREINS 2148XL ZEROTURN LAWN MOWER LEAVE A STRIPE OF UNCUT GRASS ON THE CHUTE SIDE. REPLACED BELT AND BLADES SAME THING ,LONG OR SHORT GRASS MAYBE A IDLER PULLEY OR BLADE SPINDLE BAD? ANY INFO?:cry::confused:

2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Is the deck clean underneath? Are any of the baffles bent? These things affect airflow - which can lead to mowhawking...

3. big_belly4ever

i cleaned off all the grass, put new blades and one baffle is bent, been bent for awhile wasnt giving me a problem before, seems like with all the rain the grass is growing good and is collecting under the deck a lot.

4. S L C

S L C LawnSite Senior Member

Don't use an 'ariens'.... that should help you out a bunch!!!! :hammerhead::rolleyes:

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

I had a bent baffle that I used for a while. Then I bent it worse without knowing it, and mohawked like CRAZY - even in 1st gear. Get under there with a hammer or something and fix it up.

6. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

I have a 21" ariens that cuts and bags as well as my top of the line honda, and costed 1/2 the price.

7. Gardens55

Gardens55 LawnSite Member

Stop Shouting! ;)

8. logical

logical LawnSite Member

Sometimes in wet grass the discharge will bend the uncut grass on that side so when you come back the next pass the blades can't lift it enough to cut it well. Then nature stands it up and you have cowlick strips every other line.

9. big_belly4ever

baffle was the problem worked great today , nothing a crow bar and hammer can't fix thanks :waving:

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

You know what they say: even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then!! Glad to help.