1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stripes - Love 'em or Hate 'em?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Steve1, Jul 26, 2004.

How do you feel about the whole "Stripe" issue?

1. I love them! Greatest thing since rotating blades.

85 vote(s)
  2. I hate them! A lot of crap about nothing.

13 vote(s)
  3. I don't care either way.

31 vote(s)
  1. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious - do any of you run into customers who DON'T want the stripes? My own personal preference could go either way; sometimes I love the definition stripes bring but other times, I like the yard to look like a green carpet.

How about you? Love 'em or Hate 'em? How about your customers?
  2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Most places that I do really like them because it makes their props stand out. On the other hand I have 1 prop that insists that I cut low enough that it wont stripe. They are convinced that because they can see the stripes from the grass being bent in opposite directions that it isnt getting cut. No matter how much I explain that because the deck is out front it has to be getting cut, they still dont believe me! Oh well, its their browned out lawns that will look like crap for the next 6 weeks till it starts raining again.
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Cut nice, trim well, define the edges and do an excellent job cleaning up. If the lawn stripes....thats a bonus.
  4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

sure like laying down nice stripes!!!!
  5. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I prefer no strips, and no hedged shrubs. All natural looks much better.
  6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here. I HATE tightly trimmed shrubs and stripes are for baseball diamonds IMO. Give me the natural look anyday.
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't really think they are such a big deal...
  8. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Striping makes me enjoy mowing, however I don't think most clients could care less.
  9. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

I really like the looks of stripes but unfortunately our warm weather grasses down here just don't hold stripes very well.
    Especially bahia when you scalp it today and it's 2 feet high in a week.
  10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I prefer the more natural look, highly manicured lawns and gardens don't do it for me, but country Australia is more relaxed about such stuff. We don't generally stripe here due to grass type and height and clents don't care anyway.

But due to the fact my Toro stripes even on stuff I thought was not possible to look good a stripe must be perfect or it looks bad.

Either perfect stripes or none, I sway towards none unless a sports field, and then I think I would still prefer a non striped field.

But like I said, stripes aren't the go here anyway, especially those deep stripes you guys have.