Stripes on different grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadsLawn, May 12, 2001.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure your all sick of us asking about stripes...Well down here in the Tampa area you only see them on golf coarses.Is what I'm asking ,what type of grass will stripe good.Thin blade to wide blade.most real nice homes have wide blade(ST.Augestein)I'm going to make my own chain drag this coming week to see if that will help.

thank you
  2. Robert Pruitt

Robert Pruitt LawnSite Senior Member

high lift blades make a difference in N.C.
  3. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

its not going to happen on st augustine
  4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

This is about as much stripe as I can get on St. Augustine

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

That looks better than what I got up here. Nobody grows St. Augustine here and if they do I don't cut it!

Centipede...........forget it.
    Bermuda.............somewhat, and only if it gets tall enough.
    Bahai...............believe it or not, if it's growing good it will leave a better stripe than all of the above.

Cool season grasses are going to stripe a lot better than warm season. The blades tend to lay over better and the striping affect is largely inpart to the direction the grass is leaning and how the sun is hitting it. It's a "light thing". We can't get our warm season stuff to grow 4 inches on a regular basis.........well maybe with a ton of nitrogen we might.........but then it wouldn't rain for 2 months and it would be burnt to a crisp.