Stripes on Lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Integrity, May 1, 2001.

1. Integrity

Integrity LawnSite Member

I mow in the deep south, Mississippi. I have noticed lately that the tires on my Lazer are leaving stripes in some of the lawns that I mow. Seems to mostly happen on Centipede grass. The stripe is very noticeable and leaves a red color on the grass. Have any of you experienced this problem before and how can I correct it or what can I do to prevent it from happening? Thanks in advance!

2. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Great question. I've had the same problem off and on over the years. And only on centipede. I've never had the grass die but it can look terrible. I had nice red lines over 4 acres one time. I don't have the answer but sure would love to find out

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure, but I would be lead to believe that it may be caused from stress - related to the traffic over it. Of course, then again, you guys have had rain to beat the band down there, haven't you?

4. Dan Stoms

Dan Stoms LawnSite Member

I believe it is caused by stress,because I've had the same problem.And the only way I've been able to correct it is to change mowing pattern.Instead of going in a circular pattern blowing the grass in,go back and forth in one direction one week and the opposit the next,then maybe on an angle the next month.

5. Integrity

Integrity LawnSite Member

I can understand the stress on yards that I have mowed alot, but I have had this happen on yards that I have only mowed two or three times. I am using a 60" Exmark with a mulching kit. Any more ideas??

6. Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder LawnSite Member

I don't have experience with that type of grass, but I wonder if you went with wider tires if that wouldn't help spread the weight? I don't know, just a thought.

7. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Integrity,

Did you ever figure out the problem with the red stripes?