stripes or rows

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Apr 5, 2002.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

been looking at some work by several lcos.
    its obvious that they think they are leaving stripes.
    what they are leaving looks more like rows to me.
    a stripe is caused by different reflection of the sun on every other row.in their case its their tires that are leaving little stripes on each side of the cut.
    im certainly no expert at stripes as i first heard of it on this forum.
    but i do know how to lay dn a fair stripe if the customer will let me. lot of country folks here dont care for it.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

striping really isnt caused by sun reflection. its caused by the mower deck laying the grass down in the direction you are mowing after the grass has been cut by the blades. when you stripe it gives you that affect that the grass has almost been painted, but its really just the grass being layed down in certain directions. maybe somebody else can explain it better than me though.

3. Nick

Nick Banned

Yes it is the reflection of the light hitting the grass bent in a different direction. When it looks light or whitish the grass is bent away from you and dark when it is bent towards you.

4. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

It is both, the light reflects diferently becase the grass is laid down, either away from the person viewing or towards.

5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i can sometimes see mine in the dark though...:confused:

6. ceaman

ceaman LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

VipermanZ
    Are you using radioactive fertilizer?

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

yep ,thats what striping is alright. the post was directed at the
    those that aparently think its just cutting srait rows.
    nothin wrong with that,but just to inform.

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I can see my STRIPES in the dark too, not so much in the complete dark but just before dark when you can just barely see anything. The stripes show up pretty good then. Too dark and they won't show up even in headlights. I've tried this different ways mowing when it's too late to mow really lol. Ran outta time. Just get your spacing right when mowing at dark and you'll see them next day.

9. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Sure wish I had lawns that would stripe here, occasionally in a nice commercial area you can see some light stripes when they're on a perfect fert program and it's a fescue or other cool weather grass.

Hank