stripes??? pattern

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by air8, Sep 3, 2003.

1. air8

air8 LawnSite Member

how many times should you mow the same pattern in the same direction in order to make good stripes.???

such as north south, for two weeks in a row then,
    east west, for two weeks in a row.
    then repeat the pattern again.?

please give me some hints.
    thanks
    aaron

:blob4:

2. J D CRUSTA

J D CRUSTA LawnSite Member

Good stripes do not require repetitive mowing in the same channels. Good mowing practice dictates changing mowing directions in order to avoid laying the grass repeatedly in one direction. (and forming tire ruts) Mow in your desired stripe pattern. The end result is what you get. Change direction the next week for a healthy turf (and variable stripe pattern)

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i alternate 2-4 patterns on most of my properties, changing directions each week, except one or two that are too small to really show a pattern.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, what I do is this....say I have a new lawn, never striped....I start in the first direction that is most visible. Next week when I come back, if the stripes are gone, same direction again. I keep on doing that eack week until the stripes are still visible the next week OR until tire tracks warrent a change in direction.

Also on accounts that are cut much faster in a particular direction, it try to get by with the fast way as much as possible.

Anyways, once those stripes are burnt in....when I change direction, I cut at a 45 across those stripes instead of cutting a 90. This way I find that it does not cut the old stripes out as much.

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I change direction each week where I can. I can usually see my stripes from the last week (or 2 or 3) . I go side to side, angle left, up and down. angle right, then side to side again.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I change stripes when I can, but because of time and layout of the property I can not always change the direction or pattern

7. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I change my direction by 45 degrees each week. Do like envy said earlier if your stripes disappear from one week to the next. Once you have the initial stripes established then you can start changing direction.