1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stripes Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, May 15, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Please try to follow me here because I am confused about stripping. From what I know stripping is created because the mower deck pitch is lower at the front, and when you make a pass the grass is on an angle. When you turn around and come the other direction the grass is angled the opposite direction (causing a stripped look).
    Stop here....Is this correct?

If this is correct how do you mow say a dog legged property? I find it easier to start from the outside and work my way to the middle all in one direction (Very little stripe effect).
    How would you mow it? Do you always try for the stripes or just mow it however?

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

jimbo ,in my opinion some areas are better left smooth. areas like circlles with say a statue or what ever in the center
    look better with out,as they already have ornamental desighn . a dog leg
    might fit into this category ,in some cases.
    the man u really need to talk to is unfortunately no longer with us.
  3. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

Regardless of the shape of the area, an experienced mower should be able to stripe as such......

You should be able to stripe a pattern completely around a house so that it looks from a plane as though you drove your machine right through the house; no different than making it appear that you drove through a tree or plant bed. Therefore, a dogleg is of little barrier to striping. This does take much practice,however, and I still learn more everyday.

You are correct in how stripes are created. I always stripe because it spreads clippings evenly, is the most efficient way to mow, and I think the appearance is most professional. Others have different opinions.
  4. Russo

well that didn't work! It WAS all lined up.
  5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

LOL as I was reading through your xxxx's and eeee'ss I was thinking, hmm, is this really how you stripe? Cause you would wear out the levers on your mower real quick! LOL thanks for the laugh.. know the feeling.
    My perception has always been (and experience) that stripes are areas (rows) of grass bent over in one direction, going alternate directions to make it bent different ways. The light reflects differently off of these bent stripes of grass and makes the colors look different. Another theory is that when it's bent away (looks light colored) you are seeing the lower area of the blade of grass. But when it's coming at you (darker shaded green), you see the top of the blade of grass (looks darker colored).
    I don't know which one of these is correct, but maybe it's a combination of two or three (also counting your first theory in your first post). Could be!
  6. Jimbo

Thanks Landscaper you had me fooled. I thought that the E's and X's were the way you intended. I thought you were showing the the way you would mow around an area that wasn't square such as a dog legged property.

I saw a large!!!! property the other day that had awsome stripes. But what made me question the cut was because the cutting was done on a 45 degree angle to the longest side of the property...I hope this makes sense. It must have taken a very long time because when they got to the end of the property there must have been a high number of short stripes and turns to make. It seemed that the most logical way to mow would have been length wise on the longest section.. Property was rectangular and about 400 Yards long and 100 yards wide.
    Why would you mow it on a 45 degree angle to the long side of the property? Besides for looks?
    How many of you do this?
  7. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

I mow on angles often. I do it for curb appeal. It also changes your pattern. I don't know how much longer it takes, but quality comes first. I wonder if you were at one of my properties?
  8. Russo

Sorry for screwing you up with Xs and Es, Bro. Trust me it was in a dogleg shape before I hit the post button. Sig's got it right. The 45 is worth the look. There will be extra turning, but most folk try to face the 45 angle so that the stripes are seen best from the road or drieway.

BushHogBuddy, somehow I knew you would get in on this thread, after all the topic is striping! Glad some of you understand the X and E dilema. If you are gonna work on that "resources" page for LS, add on a telestrater for me will ya. Then I can draw. Also on that topic.....I got formulas galore about plant spacing, transpiration rates, conversion charts, mulch calculators, you name it. Let me know if I can help.
  9. Jimbo

Sig Thanks for the reply. The poperty was in Frederick MD (State Farm Insurance building) Do you get to Frederick much?

Anyway thanks for the response everyone.
  10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Lanscraper-thanks for reminding me about that page to build... i'm ssoooooooo busy, I completely forgot :eek: :eek:
    If this is a dumb question, forgive me, and maybe I should get out a dictionary, but i've never heard of a telestrater, what is it? Maybe I have heard of it but didn't know that's what it was called. Yep, anything to do with striping, i'm in on. I'm always on the patrol for good stripes! I want to be the next Eric ELM!
    45 degree angle stripes increase curb appeal and creat good patterns.