STRIPES , what makes them stand out ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nitro Junkie, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Nitro Junkie

Nitro Junkie LawnSite Member
    from va

First of all what causes the stripe effect ? And how do you do it and with what ?

Cause some of the work i have seen you guys do is amazing ! :help:

2. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Stripes are caused by the grass laying one way that catches the sun light. As the mower goes one way it lays the grass for the 'dark' line, as it comes back it lays the grass for the 'lighter' line. This is done by the mower deck. Differant decks stripe better. You can also attach a striping kit to your deck to acheive a better defined stripe.

3. Nitro Junkie

from va

So the height of the grass is the same it's just "brushed" in different directions as you make a pass ?

What consist of a striping kit ? Can you attach one to a riding mower (lawn tractor) ?

4. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

im not sure if you have a homeowner tractor if it will stripe right...or if there is a stripe kit for it. Try changing to high lift blades. Thats what makes really good stripes.

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I've seen makeshift rollers put on smaller tractors, didn't look as good as a good ZTR can. Like already stated a good deck and kit will produce a nice stripe. Reels make the best stripes I've ever seen because of the direction the direction the blade barrel is spinning forward/backward instead of side to side. Trying to cover up the circular motion is more difficult can can be done. Walker mowers and Exmarks stripe nicely.

6. Nitro Junkie

from va

any product websites where i can see what a kit looks like ?

7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Nitro Junkie

from va

sweet ! that is to cool ! Thanks for the link !

9. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I've begun to build my own stripe kits, can build them to fit any size deck or lawn tractor. From 19" push mowers to 72" ztr's.

Check out our website and drop an email.

http://www.platypusrd.com

10. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

[​IMG]