stripes with a 21" Toro Proline

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Oct 11, 2003.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wanted to share a few pics of the stripes that my 2003 toro proline 21" makes. I've never had a 21" mower do this and it is all done without any attachments.

im000096.jpg

2. joed

Here's the front yard.

im000099.jpg

3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Nice stripes, but sure does look like a lot of work to me. I had to do an entire yard today with my 21" push mower and thought I was standing still for almost an hour. I was supprised when he got my bill and didn't flinch ($50). Just told me to come back in two weeks.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Lawn looks nice, but I gotta ask, why buy a new $1000 21" mower when you could clearly use a larger walk behind on yards like that?
    Just curious.

5. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

...nice stripes

keep up the good work :)

6. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Kind of scary when you spent that much on your mower and I use 21" Toro Recyclers and the stripes look the same..:eek:

Nice stripes though:cool:

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Buuuut.....will your home owner grade mower LAST as long as his commercial grade mower?:eek: ;)

8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

gogetter,
    Question is, will his mower last as long as mine? I have a YardMan 21" that has made it through 6 seasons now. As long as you maintain your mowers well they will last a long time. There's no way I will ever spend $1000 for a 21" mower. Oh, and at $300 a piece that would keep me in 21" mowers for almost 20 years. How many Toro proline mowers will he have to buy over 20 years X $1000 each? I think mine is the better buy. Just something to think about.

9. joed

Thanks for the feedback. I am using a 21" Toro proline as I do not mow on a full time basis and have only 10 clients. Getting a larger machine would be nice but not economically viable at this time. Also that lot is my biggest one, the rest are small postage stamp lots. As for the comments on a residential mower vs a commercial, when I first started I used a homeowner lawn boy. That did not even compare to what this Toro proline can do. I learned my lesson after the first season. In my situation, where it is my primary mower, better to go commercial. In other situations, it may not be that necessary.

10. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Excellent analysis Joed, and a wise decision to fit your needs.

The other replies probably come from the perspective of a larger scale operation where the 21" is ONLY used for mowing around bushes, trees, and other tight areas. Whole different ballgame.