1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stripes with Toro 62" Z Master

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Spurgeon, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Spurgeon

Spurgeon Guest

I think I found out whats wrong. The deck is not lower in the front. In fact its higher in the front and lower in the back. I checked with my dealer about the high lift blades and he had no idea what I was talking about. He said he had gator blades and the regular replacement blades only. Did not have much interest in checking into it either. Can I buy the high lifts on line from someone? If so who?
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Find a new dealer..... Thats like a landscaper that has never heard of "edging" a lawn
  3. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer told me that the Z-Masters come with a stripe kit. On my walk behind it's just a piece of rubber that hangs down.

Running doubles to incease the lift made more of a difference than adding the striping kit to mine.
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Viperman Z

We cut a field area next to a commercial property that is 98% clover and I will tell you that it does in fact stripe very well.
  5. Spurgeon

Spurgeon Guest

I adjusted the deck per the instructions in the manual. Found and installed the hi-lift blades. I still don't have much of a stripe. I am mowing a mixture of fescue, clover, some type of grass that has a 3 leaf head like a crows foot and probably some crab grass. I am mowing @ 2.5 inches.
  6. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I've never mowed that low, I stay at 3 - 3.5 inches. That may be too low to stripe, but the clover might have to be cut that low.
    Seems like I remember Eric saying you have to mow higher to get stripes?
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Mowing higher gets you much better stripes than cutting it short.My dixie wil stripe decent at 2 1/2",but at 3 or 3 1/2",it stripes awesome,even with weeds mixed in,doesnt matter,the longer the grass,is the easier it lays down,giving you the dark/light color.The healthier your lawn is,the better the stripe too,when I cut strong,healthy grass,that has been aerated,sprayed,and fertilized regularly,(like Eric@ELM lawns)it looks picture perfect.Thinner,weeded grass,will stripe,but nothing like when the grass is healthy.The first thing you need to do is keep the blades razor sharp all the time,if you do only 1 thing,do that.Buy a spare set of blades,and keep them both sharp,switch once,so you wont have to sharpen so often.I'd rather sharpen 4 sets ,once week,than 1 set every other day.They will last twice as long,and you'll have spares too,if you bend one,or want to try doubles.
  8. Spurgeon

Spurgeon Guest

Thanks for the info. I will raise the deck to 3 inches the next time I mow and see how it does. I have almost 2 acres in my yard and it has not been fertilized. Intend to do that this fall. I did have a soil test and they suggested adding lime. This I did using pellatized lime. Intend to have soil tested again and apply some fertilizer this fall and winter.
  9. www

www Guest

The practice of striping a lawn was started in Fenway Park in Boston. It is very simple to do, but it causes undo stress on the lawn. If you are mowing a professional field (baseball, golf course, etc.) that needs a stripe look for the audience, then by all means do your best. However, for any other purpose, it's a waste of time and money and the lawn gets damaged in the process! Healthy lawns require proper mowing practices.
  10. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

it causes it no stress. where did that one come from any how??