Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hunter Landscape, Mar 4, 2001.

1. Hunter Landscape

Hunter Landscape LawnSite Member

i was wondering if anyone had ever gone and made a striping kit by yourself? i have a front deck grasshopper and have been trying to figure out the best way to go about trying it. any hints on what to use and where and how to mount this "rig" would be appreciated. it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do, but then again, i really haven't tried!
  2. BryanB

BryanB LawnSite Member

I was wondeering the same thing. It seems that on Eric's website that the kit looks like a piecs of amgle-iron with 1 ft. pieces of chain bolted to it. If thats all it is you probably culd make one for $40.00. Thats just my opinion I could be totally wrong.
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Just about all commercial mowers with a good set of high lift blades will stripe the grass... a striping kit is not needed but will deepen the stripes slightly. Erics site will explain it more in detail!
  4. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

WOW cool striping pics nice work....
  5. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

I plan on welding one up and getting it powder coated (not the chains) to match my great dane chariot for the proffesional look. I may also make one up for my toro wb, though I am not sure how effective that will be.

I plan on making it like Erics, just a piece of angle with either hole punched in with the chain slid through then a rod slid through the holes of the chain to hold in place. Or I will just weld the chain to the angle itself.

Either way if you make it yourself be sure to shorten the chains on the end to make sure when your making turns you do not run over the chain.

6. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

I have been thinking about making a kit for my JD front deck also. The problem is location. I can't place it immediately behind the deck or I run over the chains. If it is placed between the front and back wheels, you have the same problem with both sets of wheels running over it possibly. Mounted off the back it would have to be behind the rear wheels and would significantly increase my tail swing arc. I know how to make it from chains but Hunter Landscape and I have the same problem . . . . where to place it on the machine.

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

8. Hunter Landscape

Hunter Landscape LawnSite Member

my mower stripes well also without any kits, but i am always looking for a little more adv. than the comp.
    (and i like building things :))
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You only need the chains between the drive wheels. The drive wheels will lay the grass down as they go over it.
  10. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

My mower stripes well also and like Hunter, I am just looking for an advantage and more defined stripes. I live in where everyone uses DC and their stripe kits. I almost need something additional to stay competitive. I am working on a proposal for a customer that actually requested stripes and wanted to know if I had the attachment to do that.