1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fubba, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I recently joined the site, and prior to that, had seen only a couple of places that have been striped. Now that I've seen some of the pictures of your lawns, I know of a couple of customers who would like this done and the yard would look great when finished. I have a 52" 23 hp Lazer Z HP. I know that the striping kit would need to be purchased, but exactly how do you stripe? I know you go back and forth, but do you make a lap around the yard first to accomodate the turns? I don't want to get in someone's yard and experiment only to end up screwing it up. I would like to know something about it first. Also what kind of grass is best to stripe? I know bahia is probably the worst just because well...just because it sucks and is not really grass in my opinion anyway. Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

GR8LAWNS LawnSite Member

Striper works great on the exmark, real simple. I usally mow the perimiter and then pick a spot,aim for it, and then back and forth. Next week same but at a differnt angle.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

what ^^^^ said. I like to do the following weeks stripes at a right angle to the first. I do the perimeter of a big area first and last, first to accomodate turns then after to erase the turn marks.
  4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Fubba I go 2 passes around the entire property that leaves more room when turning, also try doing a 3 point turn when going onto the next pass. As for stripes I just put a set of BigLeagueLawn stripping kit on and even the crapier lawns look great, check them out at their site www.BigLeagueLawns.com they have several applications. Your lawns will look a lot nicer just make sure you can go in a very straight line with a kit! :waving: