1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by haney, Jun 27, 2006.

1. haney

haney LawnSite Member

What is the trick to making the stripes in the yard when you mow.:usflag:

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

back and forth
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i buy a shade of dark green paint and then a can of slightly lighter. I set the nozzle tips for 60" swath and turn on the light green on the first pass. then I switch back to dark green for the return pass. repeat as many times as necessary. Don't forget to keep an eye on your paint level, you wouldn't want to run out in the middle of a yard!

just kidding. Sorry, I can't sleep for some reason tonight. there are a lot of factors that effect striping, 1) type of grass, 2) your mower, 3) deck pitch, 4) lawn quality, 5)viewing angle.
  4. haney

haney LawnSite Member

I looked a little further down the page and someone was talking about a tow behind unit. Is that what causes the stripes? I am just starting out so I wasn't sure how it was done. thank you though.:usflag:
  5. DylanK

DylanK LawnSite Member

stripes are caused when the grass blades get bent... the tow behind unit might have been a roller where it would roll over the grass, bend the blades in the direction you go, and have the effect of striping
  6. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

You have to use paint?? What an amatuer.

I do not even have to mow the yard. I simply pull my monster mower near the turf area and the blades of grass bend and adjust their height in the correct direction out of shear respect for the awesome power of the Toro.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  7. NewbieNC

NewbieNC LawnSite Member

Stripes are like crop circles...they just kinda happen.
  8. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

Go to the search page and do a search on stripes or striping. You will see many posts on this topic.:)
  9. haney

haney LawnSite Member

Thank you for the help! Like I said I am new and I'm trying to get some useful info from the pros.Thanks.
  10. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

In all seriousness, stripes are caused by bending certain types of grass in one direction.

To accomplish this you need to meet a few criteria.

1. The correct type of grass. Grasses like fescue stripe well where bermuda does not.

2. The correct height. When grass is taller it tends to stripe better. I cut mostly between 3 1/2 to 4 inches. You can stripe shorter, but it is just more difficult.

3. Make each pass in the opposite direction. Read this http://www.scag.com/lawnstriping.html

4. Having a striping kit on your mower helps, but is not necessary. Read this http://www.scag.com/tigerstriper.html

Hope this helps