1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by JohnDeere757, Jul 16, 2007.

1. JohnDeere757

JohnDeere757 LawnSite Member

I've been running an Exmark Turf Tracer HP, and a John Deere Z-Trak 727A and I was wondering why it doesn't leave stripes very often? Sometimes on certain properties it will stripe, but it won't on other properties. Do they make a striping kit for a John Deere Z-Trak 727A with the 54" deck? Thanks in advance. :)
  2. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

Having worked in a lawn mower shop, and also mowing lawns, with the added (not) bonus of living in deere country, i will say this to you:
    I have never, ever seen a deere that can cut grass. mutilate? Yes. I think a drunken monkey with a spoon can cut better then a deere. Now, before I get lots of hate mail, i will say deere makes a fine tractor, and they support the crap out of there stuff. They just never figured out how to cut turf grass.
  3. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, John Deere makes a Striping Kit for the 7 IRON decks. They're about $350.00 or so but they definetaly worth it.
  4. JohnDeere757

JohnDeere757 LawnSite Member

I disagree with that post in a lot of ways. All the John Deere mowers that I've used have cut better than the Exmarks, especially when its wet. They also leave less clippings in my experience. I only have problems with the striping. :/
  5. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you tried a different Mfg.'s blades ? At what hgt are you cutting ? Taller grass stripes better, i'am sure you already know this thou ?

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Well you need a striping kit exmark and scag does good without a kit but we run em on our scags and the properties look dam good when we are done.
  7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I completely agree with JohnDeere757. When grass is tall or if it's wet....nothing is better than a John Deere Z-trac -- nothing. Most cities around here sub out their parks. They prefer mowing every two weeks. More John Deeres mow these parks here than any other brand. I'm too cheap to buy a striping kit for my 727-A 54". Plus it creates nice patterns anyway. I think the mindset most pro's have is: John Deere is relatively new compared to Exmarks, etc. I demo'd three commercial zero-turn mowers before I bought one. Exmark was nice. So was Skag. But I was most impressed with the "cut" of the John Deere. Also, John Deere has many times more service centers compared to any other brand, so parts & service is very fast. Parts are in within 24 hours in case they are not available that day.
  8. YardMedic

YardMedic LawnSite Member

More time and needless money spent on striping? :sleeping:

I'll be at the bank with the time & money NOT spent on this

MOWALLTHETIME LawnSite Member

I kinda agree with Kevin above I do not stripe unless if the customer asks or it or a very large property.Most of my customers want it bagged and are more concerned with overall appearance of their propertry i.e. shrubs, plants, and mulch. If they want it we charge because in the south bermuda does not hold a stripe for more than a few hours for the most part. We have to go over it 2-3 times to make it look reasonable. although we have several yards in fescue and hybrid bluegrasses that look nice when we stripe, but for the most part we are dealing with bermuda ( dwarf bermuda) which we have to cut at 2"-2 1/2", which is difficult to stipe. I am jealous of the northen guys with those stripes they are awesome.
  10. tjaynes

tjaynes LawnSite Member

I work for a construction company cutting grass and trimming and blowing, I mow alot of grass. I have a Grasshopper midmount model 227 with a 61" Duramax deck. I was wondering if anybody makes a roller that will fit on that mower or does anyone have any ideas of what to do. It already stripes but I want a more defined stripe.