Stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jan 26, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

What are your best types of grass and height of cut for striping? Also, see I work mostly with weedy common yards and they don't make good striping material :rolleyes: :( so what would you recommend to make better stripes w/o spending alot of money??? My mower cuts and stripes good, considering what it is (don't laugh, but it's a 1989 Toro 8-32 Professional rear engine rider) It cuts good really it does, and it stripes good too but still most lawns I do just are more weeds than grass in some places and they go away after a couple days and usually don't stripe good to start with. Got any ideas? Really I only mow my yard (2 acres) and a couple neighbor's, who are elderly and not rich so any low cost ideas are good. Thanks,
    Eric

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

rye is impossible NOT to stripe! about the height about 2 1/2+3 1/2 on rye

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks Vipermanz! Any pictures of a rye lawn striped? This will mean I have to reseed, right? How do i do that (dumb question huh?) Thanks,
    Eric

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

LOL, I'd upgrade my mower if I were you. :)

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Done Did 'Er! LOL.. Hey Darryl, I also upgraded accounts ya know ;) This ol' boy grew up a little more, got more business, more nicer equipment, and nicer lawns, now I do the nicest striping in town www.cuttingedgelawncare.biz
    Err, thanks for the reply there, Darryl...hehe...
    Eric

6. Darryl G

Yeah, me too.

Hope nobody digs up my old posts...back when I was running a 21 inch White Outdoor Mower and Ryobi trimmer :blush:

7. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

Wow!!! How did this resurface?

Anyway, for those who might benefit from the post, her's my 2 cents...

First, I'm a little biased since I only work with cool season grass. But a nice Kentucky Bluegrass variety will produce an awesome stripe! Rye works too, but my preference is bluegrass.

Overseeding can be accomplished in several ways.

My preferred method is to plug aerate the area two or three times. Then, I go over the area with a nice drop spreader (broadcast will work, too) with the seed.

After a nice water or a few days when some of the cores break down, I put down a nice starter fertilizer for when the seeds start to germinate. Bluegrass can take as long as 30 days... Ryegrass, less than a week.

There are many methods including slit-seeding. Best to work on a system that best suits the gear and experience you have.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Any kind of Fescue Eric...3 to 4 inches in height stripes REAL NICE.

9. Darryl G

Just my way of saying hi to BHB. I haven't been here in almost a year.

As far as stripes go, my Lazer HP stripes pretty well on it's own, even better when using the Ultra Vac. Personally, I don't go out of my way to stripe, but don't mind when it happens.

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Darryl,
    Yeah i was just thinking I haven't seen you here in a long time. Where ya been? Oh lemme guess- over at the dark side?
    Well don't be such a stranger here anymore! We miss you and your great posts. How are you doing these days?
    Eric :waving: