Stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rvsuper, Jun 24, 2002.

1. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Cool. what did you use? a 21" mower w/roller? how tall is the deck set to? It looks pretty high. Looks like you also doubled up on the stripes coming towards you. Looks good.
    Eric

3. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I just took a picture of it this morning before I cut it, so that is why it looks so high. First, I mow it with my 30" rear engine rider, then I have a reel mower with a big heavy roller in the back of it. I have the handle bars backwards so the roller is in the front, that way, it doesn't cut the grass, and the bed knife (knife on the bottom of the reel) lays the grass down even more than the roller.

4. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

the reel mower

reel.jpg

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

are you serious? Tell me you only do this on your lawn? Why do you use a rear engine rider if you have a 36" commercial mower? Got a pic of the rear engine rider?
    I use a rear engine rider but probably wouldn't if I had a better mower. I don't think I would need to go over it with a reel mower either cause I have a deck roller on it. :D It stripes sweet.
    Eric

jones4.jpg

6. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

I am a little confused, I run 60" Exmark Lazers with no modifications and my lawns stripe great. Why so much time and effort into this. Seems like you all should purchase pro equipment and you could save a lot of time and effort. I am not trying to be an idiot, but it seems like a lot of wasted effort?

7. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I only use this stuff for my own yard, because all my bus. equip is 15 miles away at a shed from me. Plus, my rear engine rider does not stripe worth S**T!!! I'm going to take it to a welding shop nearby to have them make me a roller. I have no welding expirence, don't want to use chains, either. And hey SIG, this is only for MY lawn. I will get a pic of the mower some time today.

8. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Bush Hog, do you have a pic of your deck roller?

9. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

RVLI,
    I said I was not trying to be an idiot, was just curious as to so much effort. Now I understand. And by the way it does look very nice! Sig

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Sure I got a pic of it. First I'll send a pic of the mower, it's a 1989 (maybe as old as '87) Toro 8-32 "Professional" (thats on the decal ok) it has a 8hp B&S I/C engine, electric start (alternator is broke and so is the starter relay solenoid but it cranks first rope pull) and the deck is 32" single blade. I inherited this mower and can't afford anything else. I have replaced the belts and blade and the piston rings in the engine and done some other work to it including relocating the steering rods on the spindle arms and cutting off the stop on the left hand side so it turns tighter to the left and alittle tighter to the right. Heres the mower and next i'll put the roller.
    Eric