stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by indianchief, Sep 8, 2004.

1. indianchief

indianchief LawnSite Member

What is the big deal with striped lawns? It looks OK , I guess for a baseball field , but what is the point on a residential lawn? When you do see one of these lawns in this area , my first thought is what a waste of time. I personally think that a well manicured lawn with no sign of stripes is much preferred. I believe that the whole stripe fad is a gimmick , started by some mower manufacturer (probably quite by accident)

2. robertbick

robertbick LawnSite Member

Some like them and some don't, no big deal. I happen to like them and with a ZTR mower, it really does not take any longer to cut the grass while striping.

3. Randys Lawn Service

Randys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I too like to stripe yards. It separates the "just mowed" yards from the "professionally" mowed ones. Nothing worse than seeing that yard that they mow in circles working their way towards the middle!!! Just my opinion though!!!

4. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

its actually easier if you stripe out a lawn because you want the longest stripe possible so you dont have to slow down to turn .

5. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

How does it take longer to stripe then just cut? All you have to do is mow one pass in a direction and on the very next pass make sure you go the opposite direction. If your mower stripes, you dont really have a choice unless you went out of your way to make passes in the same direction. It would be harder to cut all the passes in the same direction to avoid a stripes IMO.

6. zpoore

zpoore LawnSite Member

Indianchief, why not make stripes? They look great and give you something to look forward to at the end of mowing, you get to see if the stripes and dark, light and straight.

7. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I cant mow without striping. My mower does it stock. I dont have a kit or anything.How do you mow and not stripe?

8. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see how stripeing lawns is a gimmick. Every commercial mower I have ever used will stripe. The thing I don't understand is the striping kits. You guys know as well as I do that if you keep mowing a lawn in the same direction you end up laying the grass down and it doesn't cut as well. I would think that a giant roller like on the Exmarks would make this worse. I have to make sure my employees switch directions from week to week because I have customers that complain about the grass "laying down". From my old Bunton belt drive mowers I had 15 yrs. ago to my Exmark and Walker that I run today, they all left stripes without a stripeing kit. I guess maybe the southern grasses might need a striping kit because they are cut so short but here in Ohio I cut at 3.25 to 3.5 inches. When the grass is left that tall after cutting any big commercial mowers tires will lay the grass down and leave stripes. I personally think stripeing looks alot better than doing what we call "circle lawn care".

9. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I think a well manicured NON striped lawn does look good. I also think a manicured striped lawn looks good. I can't get my mower not to stripe... so that's why I do it. So they may as well be as straight and showy as possible...

10. zpoore

zpoore LawnSite Member

Now indianchief you can’t say Lawn-Scapes picture looks OK it looks GREAT! Why wouldn’t you want a lawn to look like that? Great job Lawn-Scapes.