1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Striping A Graveyard?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NittanyLawncare, May 9, 2007.

1. NittanyLawncare

NittanyLawncare LawnSite Member

I have a graveyard I'm doing for a client and I don't know if it would be appropriate to stripe it or not...I've never done one before. The WB I'm using will leave stripes regardless, but I can use the striping kit and stripe them dark. Memorial day will be an important day for them, so I'm going to make it look perfect, but I don't know if dark stripes would be the right thing to do. Depending on whether it is or not, would you stripe straight stripes or diagonal stripes. Thanks for the input.
  2. we just make sure its mowed and trimmed.
  3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

How are you gonna do diagonal stripes at a cemetery? The other day dad and me were talking (during...) a funeral graveside service deal about how much of a PITA it would be to mow and trim around everything. Yea, if the headstones are flat you could prob. go over them, but I figure that would scalp the heck out of everything because of the un-eveness of it. Maybe you could stripe one column one way, the next one the other, so that way the columns switch light dark light dark etc. I think that would be about the easiest and best thing to do IMO.
  4. NittanyLawncare

The graveyard is pretty empty with only about 50 headstones and room for 300, so there would be plenty of room to stripe. I wasn't planning on doing it everytime, but maybe just for memorial day. It sounds like light straight stripes are the way to go, which would just be to cut it normally.
  5. Buckeye Lawncare

Buckeye Lawncare LawnSite Member

I mow them as fast as I can. I don't make any money if I make them pretty. Mow-trim and go. No one around here actually stripes a cemetery, they to just mow and go.

The only thing that I try to do is to direct the grass away from the front of the stones, that way people can still see names without having to wipe grass off.

6. NittanyLawncare

Its just for the aesthetics of it, making it look nice for the families coming to honor their loved ones. I mean I know were all capitalists, but come on... :)

Hopefully we'll beat you this year Buckeye

We Are...Penn State!

Proud Student at THE Pennsylvania State University
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Who cares? Most people couldn't care less if I striped, I just do it so I know it looks good. Worry about something else...
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly...can't imagine the residents complaining. :rolleyes:
  9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

If they do complain I am outta there. Mow and trim. I think it would be more of a pain with all the memorials.
  10. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

I used to mow 2, gave the biggest one up this year because of new management and wanted me to do it cheaper..... so I told them to find someone to do it cheaper and have a nice day.

Anyway, it was around 6 acres with 300 or so stones. It was like mowing a cornfield because of the ruts that get left after someone is buried, graves fall in, and to top it all off you get the poeple that stop you and wonder why you don't weedeat between the 2 million flowers around uncle Joe's headstone, or why did you not put the flowers that were blown a 1/2 mile away back on aunt Marthas grave. My biggest deal was flowers, I mean some people try to put a rain forest infront of a headstone.

I still have the smaller one, which I like better anyway. It is 4 acres with around 175 stones. It only takes me 5 hrs by myself vs. 8 hrs, for $60 less, so I'm not complaining. I just mow it trim it and go, try not to shred too many flowers in the process. Matter of fact, I'm about to be on my way to it right now.