Striping and charging more?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by christoff, Dec 18, 2004.

1. christoff

christoff LawnSite Member

If I'm going to get a striping kit for my mowers, should I be charging people a little more per cut?

I was thinking of charging more for two reasons. One, the cost of the striping kit, and two, their lawn will look better.

Do I have the right to charge more? what do you guys think?

2. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

IMO if you are correctly and professionally cutting a lawn, it will come out striped.

I just can't see charging more for something that they should already be getting.

What are you putting the kit on?

3. christoff

christoff LawnSite Member

A Toro 21". Im also looking at buying a 36" in the new future.

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

The lawn should be striped to start with,it is like saying charge for a cut, a trim, a blow, a edge.In places you want to make your work stand out.Anybody can cut grass,make it outlook your competitors. 2 cents

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I'm game......., please explain why striped equals correct or professional. Don't get me wrong I use a striping roller but as far what is I can see for agronnomical reasons, you could argue the converse of your statement and you would be more correct.

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we don't sell agromony with our service we sell appearance.
    striping IMO is one of the things that sets a professional job apart.

7. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Because people hire us to do just that. Make their lawn look good and put some sweet lines in it.

8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

YP & PB, you guys are confused, my initials are DB not BG, nonetheless I stand by my statement.

9. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

If you went over to a customers house and your lines were all over the place week in and week out you'd get fired. Striping is a very important part of mowing. The lines have to be uniform. If they arent they can turn a good looking lawn into a lousy looking lawn. There was a guy who posted here when i got here. He has passed since but i remember picutres of him on his Dixie Chopper. He was very proud of his lines and rightfully so because they looked great.

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i think you're taking the responses in the wrong tone if you think i am replying like i do to BG.

when people pay for a service they expect the person to do a better job than they would. Why hire a painter to paint your car? the paint you spray on fron a lowe's wagner sprayer will do it's job ( protecting the metal underneath) just as well.

i will GUARANTEE that if you are mowing with jacked up lines, ot in the decreasing circles, and a LCO starts mowing the nieghbor's with nice stripes, even though from the agronomy standppoint there is no difference, your customer will do one of two thngs.
    aks you if you can do the same,
    or fire you and hire the other company.