Striping chains

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawrence stone, Jun 15, 2001.

1. I am not a big fan of putting double blades on my 62" Toro walkbehind.
    It cuts fine with singles and uses .70 gal of fuel an hour.

I am in the design stage of making a bar with chains that will bolt
    to when needed the back of my standard toro sit down sulky. I only use this set up for sports fields.

My question is how wide should I make the bar?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

My wheels are as wide as my cut, so my chain is just in between the wheels. Since you have several inches of deck hanging out on the sides past your wheels, I would go at least 60" wide if you overlap your cut by about 1". Less that 60" if you overlap more.

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

They're usually as wide as you can fit between the two rear wheels on the unit

4. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a pix of mine .They go to the edge of the tires.so i don't run over them in reverse

stripe kit2.jpg

5. That's a good set up Lee but I have like 2 feet of mower deck from the outside of the left drive tire. I think I can take your idea shorten up the chains and make it 60" wide. I only use reverse to get the machine off the trailer.

My mower only has 6" wide drive tires so I don't get the big roll width of the atv ztr tires.

6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

All you have to do is keep the bracket low enough so you don't have to have super long chains. As long as you measure them short enough so they don't get hung up under the tires when in reverse, you can make it the whole width of the deck.

7. fastmowing

fastmowing LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Last week I machined angle iron and bought chains for a striping kit similar to Eric's picture. I spent 3 to 4 hours on the whole thing (it's not painted yet, but already mounted). I put 1/4" cable instead of a rod though the chains. The 5/16" chains are 9 links long (about 1').

I am really pleased with the cut. The chains push the grass over almost as much as my tires so i have solid blocks with almost no tire marks. My lines aren't as straight as in Eric's pictures and other old pros, but striping really makes a lawn stand out! I would post pics if i had a digital camera, sorry.

8. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

I'm planning on making a striping kit, but I gotta get me some angle iron, and see if I can borrow some bolt cutters, it might take a while with an angle grinder!

What is the spacing for the chains, 1" 1½" or 2"?

9. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Question for those of you with chain striping kits. What do you do when going across asphalt and concrete. Seems to me that the chains would get many burrs and would snag and rip the blades of grass leaving the grass brown. The reason I'm asking is because I was thinking of making one but we use the mowers quite a bit for blowing off asphalt streets and parking lots. How would 1/4" to 1/2" thick piece of conveyer belt work. I also have concerns with the conveyer belt:
    1.) Finding a piece heavy enough to lay grass down, but not tear grass on tight turns.
    2.) The belt will wear easily but can be replaced cheap and quick.
    3.) How much of the belt should come in contact with the grass? And because we mow anywhere from 2" to 4" would it also need to be adjustable?

And for those of you with the striping kit from York Sheet Metal, is it a problem to go over curbs?

any suggestion on the conveyer belt would be appreciated.

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have a little over 500 hours on my chains and I also blow off driveways and turn around areas that are huge. Some U shaped driveways are close to a block long going all the way around it. Many of them are concrete. The chain wears fairly smooth, so there isn't anything to cut or damage the grass. I probably will take the chains off now and reverse them so the other end is dragging, so I will get at least another 500 hours out of these chains.

SMB, put the slots about 1/8 farther apart center to center, than the link is wide and it will all work out just fine.