Striping flap installed on 52" Scag w/b

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jan 25, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Put a homemade striping flap on my 52" hydro fixed deck Scag w/b today. It is made out of a rubber (not plastic) semi truck mud flap which was given to me. It is very thick and to cut it I used sharp tin snips. Bolted it on with four 5/16"x1" bolts with flat washers between the nylon insert nut and the rubber flap. Had to make it a two part because of the size of the flaps. Price- $0.00
    Made it stick down below the edge of the deck 2" since I usually cut at 3" and higher and my blades are inset alittle into the deck to reduce scalping (because it's fixed deck). You have to remove the deck from the drive unit to do this really, which is 6 bolts, a quick pin on the engagement rod, and slipping the belt off of the spindle and idler/engagement pulleys. This is a good time to inspect things under the drive unit, do maintenance etc. as well. Remember dont' place your bolts where the left and ride side blades will hit them as they rotate. Got the flap from a step uncle who is a trucker.
    Eric

jan25494.jpg

2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Looks good. I just got done making the chain kit for my Proline. I think your deck could use a little cleaning.

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Alex yes it could :blush: :cry: but it hasn't gotten above freezing so my hose and spigot won't run and my air compressor doesn't like to start and run in this weather either. There was alot under the belt cover when I took it off too. I plan on making a blowout baffle similar to this flap for the front only not stick down so far and find a thinner peice of the flap if possible.

4. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Eric: turn the deck over check the distance from the blade tips

to the deck. This is to check if blade is square to deck, ED

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

too late Ed, already bolted it back on. Might do it later sometime. All I know is it cuts good!

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric
    You could use your HAND to brush some of the debris off you Scag deck.:D :D just kidding

That's a good idea for the stripping flap. I've though of making something like that , only I might use a softer rubber like roofing rubber or pond liner, maybe doubled over?? I haven't decided yet. my 36" lesco stripes pretty well with the Jungle wheels on it already, and no one here is going to pay me any extra for sharper stripes:confused: Hope that Scag works out well for you, just be careful, 52" is wide for a fixed deck. I know I had one. I would like to se more anti-scalp wheels on fixed decks.

Happy Mowing:p

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Paul, I have the deck in the highest setting in back, and 3 spacers below the arm on the front casters and 2 spacers between the spindle and blades underneath. Doesn't seem to scalp at all this way. I think it's cutting near around 3" or 3 1/2" high didn't measure. I do have another caster wheel just like those from another Scag I could put in the front middle in place of the antiscalp roller there! :p That'd look funny. No really i don't see a need so far.
    The thicker the rubber flap the better for stripes. It needs alot of rigidity to put enough bend into the grass to stripe. If it's too flexible it will just bend the flap and not do much for the grass, besides thinner stuff is more likely to get torn up. These semi mud flaps look like and cut like radial tires. I am still thinking of some roller system for it as well because most grass around here is harder to stripe without mowing the same pattern all the time (leads to ruts). The sharper the better!
    Thanks,
    Eric

8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric
    The main place to watch for scalping at, is the edges of the deck when going through dips or ditches. That's where I would add anti-scalp wheels, at the edges. If you don't have to worry about that anywhere, great- It should work really will then

The reason I though of using something softer for a flap is again a scalping issue. I would want something that is going to "give"
    the edges of sidewalks, over tree roots, rough areas. I would want to make sure that the flap wouldn't catch anything. But I will admit I haven't used or even seen in person this type I'v stripe attachment. So I am just going on instinct. It seems you have worked with these things quite a bit. So You probably know better than I .
    Keep up the good work

9. Last pic I saw of this mower there was 6" of snowon the ground.

If it hasn't ben above freezing then how did the mower get so dirty?

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

LGF, well it finally got to around the freezing mark yesterday so I had to get outside for once. Alot of snow melted and the last pic was technically 2" LOL.
    I still have a pile of leaves to play in and a overgrown pasture as well so I am still finding stuff to mess with. Can you beleive it when I put the deck back on I accidentally bolted it in the lowest setting instead of the highest! Argh.....
    It did snow again this a.m. so I got to plow more! Alot of drifting involved and this thing continues to amaze me at how much it can push and how maneuverable it is! That striping flap I noticed helps alittle bit when plowing to catch trail offs when I do sharp turns.