Striping Floratam

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by tjlco, Jan 20, 2011.

1. tjlco

tjlco LawnSite Senior Member

Wooohooo we got our own section:clapping:...now wondering if any of you attempt striping floratam like the northern guys. We don't as most of my clients have very small yards, but just curious

2. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

You will never get any st. Augustine to stripe like the northern grasses, it just does not lay down the same

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Closest I ever get is first thing the morning and the tires make marks in the dew.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. CHUCK'SLAWN

CHUCK'SLAWN LawnSite Member

Can not be done!

5. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

You can get faint stripes & I have actually had a few customers comment on it. For the most part though people could care less, they just want their grass cut & to look good.

6. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

If you want stripes use bermuda or zoysia. The only good thing about st augustine is that it is tough enough to bounce back and can be cut without leaving stripe patterns. Centipede does not really stripe either. I do think grass looks better without the striping silliness.

7. GBSAUTO

GBSAUTO LawnSite Member

I have to disagree on this to a point.. You can stripe St.Augustine grass.. I built a striper a few years ago on my ZTR and it did pretty good..BUT... The yard was a 1/2 acre and I was cutting it a 6".. It showed the stripe pretty and lasted a couple days.. If I can find the picture, Ill post it..

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

That's the problem here. Fools cut St Aug at 2" and Bermuda at 4".
    Posted via Mobile Device

ericg likes this.
  9. GBSAUTO

GBSAUTO LawnSite Member

Heres a side yard I was able to stripe a couple years ago. With a roller attached to the rear of the deck.

This yard was cut at 4.5 inches..

[​IMG]

10. Yeee gad man!
    Posted via Mobile Device