1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Striping Help?????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SLC LLC, Jan 17, 2006.

1. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

My name is not what we are about. I have been in business for over 15 years, but just recently got into the larger equipment market. Used to use the good 'ol 21" push mower!!! StriperPro was for me, reminding me to keep figuring out HOW!!!

Anyhow, I see all of these pictures and other lawns around the area that are neatly striped. On a ZTR, how do you turn without getting the turning swipe into the pattern as well? Do you have to lift the deck each time?

Also, what about going around trees and plant beds to keep the line straight... Same principle????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. GroundUp

GroundUp LawnSite Member

I can answer the tree question. Ive been reading alot about it. Just go around the tree. And on your next pass, simply run over the previous pass.
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

4. TreeSqueak

TreeSqueak LawnSite Member

Thanks for that link, I was curious about how striping is done too. Great site ya'll got here. Just joined and I'm very glad I did, learned so much already! :waving:
  5. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Stick around for a while. You'll be amazed at what you'll learn here. I'm thankful for it. Welcome!
  6. PxPx

PxPx LawnSite Member

Pretty cool site that is Dave. I always wondered how that was done. Now I can offer something more for my business when it gets started.

Welcome TreeSqueak
  7. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

great link!

i learned the tree trick myself, and taught my helper. its awesome when it looks like you went right through the tree. i've also cut on both sides of a stream and made the stripes appear to "cross over" the stream.

there was a thread on here about stripe tricks, i think it was called "bend those stripes" might be in the picture forum. they were showing designs they made.

most local lawn guys don't see the point for stripes, i love 'em.
  8. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

When I cut the perimeter before doing my north-south or east-west passes, I go around twice. One time around the entire edge and once more inside the outermost rim I just cut- That way when you stripe and turn around at the end of each pass, you know you're not missing any grass. Plus it keeps your discharge chute further away from buildings, cars, etc.