Striping How to!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AUWarEagle, Sep 12, 2007.

1. AUWarEagle

AUWarEagle LawnSite Member

I've looked alot at all the different pics posted on this site of different striping..but i've got a couple of questions that I hope the experts could assist with...1st on these lawns are you guys bagging,mulching, or discharging??? I just don't see any clippings in all these stripes!!! (some of these are really impressive) 2nd what do you do if your running your stripes toward a house, flower bed or curb...How does the stripes look like the run straight into the bed or house??? I have a Z but it seems to be if you turn around there and head in the other direction it would leave some sort of wheel marks not the straight lines... I really want to do this on a couple of lawns i take care of but not sure what the technique is...I know how to do it around the trees but not the house's or a drop off curb...Experts!! Please help....

Thanks, Chris

2. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

if you are mowing and you are heading straight down making a stripe, you look and see a tree... ask yourself. when i get to the end of this stripe and turn around and come back am i going to have to cut around it because there isnt enough room to make it back by the tree again without cutting BACK OVER my last stripe? if the answer is yes the mow slightly past the tree. turn around and mow around the tree one pass. then continue your current stripe you were on. when you get to the end,turn around and line up straight again take off. when you get to the tree, go around the side where all the uncut grass is at so you wont change the color in the area of you last stripe. then you will see that on your next pass coming back toward the tree again youll be going straight by the tree and rolling the grass over to make the stripe the same color of the current one you are mowing. for mulch beds you might want to make 2 passes around them to keep most of the grass out when you mow the rest of the grass around it. some people like to mow every object in the yard FIRST before they even mow the yard at all. it waists some time but it makes it a little simpler for someone just learning. good luck. after some practice youll see that all you needed was to be shown the basics and the rest is just common sense if you slow down and take time to think about it.

3. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

oh yeah. what kind of mower are you using? if you dont cut the grass to the dirt then by the next morning the clippings will fall back down below the uncut grass hiding them. there are tons of different variables to it though. you just have to get some experience and think about it everyway you can. its tough sometimes to figure it out but obviously you need to do several hours of using the search button and read everytime you get a chance. make it an addiction. the knowledge will make you the money. people usually will tell you to search for the answer to questions like yours because its been discussed a hundred times already and nobody wants to keep saying it over and over again. youll learn alot more by using the search feature.

4. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

lots of practice is the key to striping. when you get to a yard, make two passes around the outside and then start striping back across it. it just takes practice to stripe. and to avoid leaving tire tracks when turning, make what i believe everyone here calls a k-turn. when you come to the end of a stripe, slow wayyyyy down and ease to the right. then back up to the left in kind of an arc that lines you up with your next stripe. so it makes a "K" when you turn.

5. AUWarEagle

So the key is to make a couple of passes around the edge of the beds or house...then start making your K turns??? I understand the concept but when you do the K turn it seems to be that it would mess up your stripes....The photos that I have seen on here it looks like the stripes just run right into the structure. Some of the best examples of the photos are Fescue Farmer's. I would love to do that on a Zoyia lawn that I do...Just want to find out from the experts the technique...

6. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone here gave you good advise on striping and I have nothing significant to add to what was written already. Below is a link to a post I made last week about a striping roller I made that could help you in creating a better stripe on your lawns. FYI, this kit I built can easily be added to a zero turn or walk behind depending its finished width or where you mount it. If you dont want to take the time to build one check out Big League Lawns striping kits. They were the model I used when building my own. They will also suggest mounting options.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=199670

7. AUWarEagle

I'm using a 23/52 Hustler mini Z.

8. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

It is an optical illusion because of the distance from the camera to the end of the stripe. Stip by any lawn that appears to have the effect you are looking for and walk over to the end of the stripe and you will see the K you are concerned about. If you want to avoid seeing the K turn at the end of each stripe then outline your properties at the end of mowing instead of doing it first. That way you will "comb" over the K turn and create your perimiter stripe.

9. AUWarEagle

Thanks, FLC Dave...I'll try that....

10. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Do they pay extra for stiping?

:)