Striping in Mid-South Area

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WigginsLandscaping, Jul 8, 2004.

1. WigginsLandscaping

WigginsLandscaping LawnSite Member

Hey everyone. I dont post much but I have learned plenty from you guys. I do have a question regarding Striping. I am very interested in doing this for my area. I think it would be a big plus and give my customers something to be proud of. My question is that I have talked to several people in my area that do lawncare as well. None provide striping, some didnt know what striping was, and the others say that you cant stripe in this area. My typical yards are bermuda and we are typically cutting at about 3 inches. Is this a waste of time for someone in Memphis to try. And if striping is not possible on bemuda can someone explain why?

Thanks in advance.

2. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

Stripping is and is not possible on bermuda..persay it strips but only for maybe like 12 to 24 hours...... reason being is b/c bermuda does not have individual blades of grass that stand up such as fescue and zoysia....... therefore can not be bent over to make the stripes....... bermuda blades are like woven together like a carpet or shirt...... fescue and zoysia are individual free standing blades that can be bent over to provide the stripes....... im in collierville and do provide stripping....... i have a stripper roller on my Exmark TT 52" WB and it work great in fescue and zoysia......... i try and get as many zoysia and fescue yards as i can due to the stripping and making myself stand out against those others around here...... used to live in PA for a while we could strip for days there got the pics to prove and the pics of stripping here in memphis as well..... it doesnt work so well when the grass is dry though so august it doesnt look the same as may...............any questions PM me.

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

what he said. hey out there in collierville.

now zoysia and fescue yards are a different story. what kind of equipment are you using?

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Since we mostly have bermuda, striping will never be a big thing. Thankfully!!!

I do like to put those nice stripes in my zoysia. But you will never see it like up north here.