Striping In The South??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stonedawg, Aug 11, 2006.

1. stonedawg

stonedawg LawnSite Member

What summer grasses give a good stripe? Bermuda? Centipede? Zoysia? NONE OF THE ABOVE?

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

centipede is nice, it's what 99% of my lawns are. the other 1% is bahia and whatever else decides to invade...

3. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

I know bermuda and St. Augstine won't stripe worth a darn. I used to get a good stripe in San Antonio - during the winter on the winter rye. Couldn't stripe worth a darn in the summer.

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

we have tried various recomendations on triping. You can get a mild stripe on centipied if you putch your deck and mow it a little taller with a set of chains behind your mower. Just make sure you can mow nice clean straight lines before you try it. We stripe a small section of tifton 419 for a guy but thats with a 21 mower.

Your not going to get a stripe as bold as the cool season grasses. Mowing it a notch or 2 taller will help. Make sure your mower is about 1/4"inch lower in front than back on ZTR's Not only does it help keep the crap out of your face but it cuts alot better.

5. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

zoysia is in this pic and no stripe kit on the mower

6. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

lets try that again !!!

stripes (sobilos) (2).jpg

7. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't bermuda used for baseball fields?
    They seem to stripe rather nice.....

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe it is because our yards are just too small to stripe...

9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

alot of fields here use tifton 419 bermuda. Stripes real nice with a reel mower and roller. I will try and get a pic next time we stripe this guys yard if i rememeber. Comes out nice with the 21 inch and pretty good with the ztr

10. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

i know there is alot of talk about stripes on here but when i pull up to a yard when it is 107-115 heat index the last thing i am thinking about is stripes in the yard...even if the grass around here would stripe i still wouldn't care...all i care about is making the yard look manicured and getting back into the truck a/c and get to the next one....imo, stripes are overated...i guess i feel that way b/c it is not an issue arounf here...might feel diff if i were cutting cool season grasses that did stripe...