1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Striping is Bad For Your Lawns!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Hello, when striping unirrigated lawns during dry spells are you not in fact damaging the turf more by laying the grass down so the blade gets full exposure to the sun ?

Would it not be more beneficial to take off the Flaps, Rollers, Chains etc., alter Rake & leave the Turf Standing Straight and Never Cut in the Same Tire Tracks ?!?!
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Go back into your Igloo.

3. seymour_glass

seymour_glass LawnSite Member

I don't mow unirrigated lawns.

But I live in the second-richest county in the country.

I guess that makes me a spoiled brat, along with all of my customers.

Your probably right though.

Although, honestly, the sun doesn't shine straight down onto the grass, it comes at it from all angles all times of the day, not to mention reflecting off all over the place. So no matter what you do, the sun is gonna hit it, pretty much all over the blade.

This is just pure speculation though. I guess whether or not it makes any difference would have to be determined through sheer experience.
  4. seymour_glass

seymour_glass LawnSite Member

thats cruel, Mr. John Gamba.

but funny
  5. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Ya, the more you mess with and crunch grass to get those purty stripes...the more damage and stress you put on it, especially in the heat of the summer.

We don't have good "stripeable" grass down here (st. Augustine). I have been feelin' a little inadequate lately about not being able to get those neat striped lawns.

But not now! Ya'll are destroying and mangling to death your grass, for the sake of a temporary aesthetic high. A bunch of short sighted and shallow artistic idealists. Destroying nature for the sake of fleeting beauty. Absolutely disgusting!

I really needed this thread.
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Why would you be mowing an unirrigated lawn during a dry spell?
  7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Very Clever JG...eXcept for the Fact That it's been over 100 °F for Weeks...

Unirrigated are Mowed @ 4"....The Tips are Sheared on these Lots to Keep them Looking Neat...
  8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think it makes a difference. This is sort of like the age-long debate about whether watering while the sun is shining will "burn" the grass (FYI - the answer is no).
  9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Striping looks like a bad cut.

What's next, will the mower operator sign his work in cursive or just make his X?

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

fareway, i believe you are correct. ******, are you sure about watering in the sunlight? on one hand, the water cools down the hot turf, on the other hand, the drops of water, just my thought here, act like a magnifying glass to the sun. i'll tell you how i arrived at this conclusion. years ago i planted several crimson barberry grouped together, in different parts of the yard. it was the middle of july, burning hot and sunny. she watered the plants, leaves and all, against my recomendation in the middle of the day. her hose would only reach some of them, the others were not watered at all. on the ones SHE DID WATER, the leaves curled up, and all fell off. the plants were not dead, and in fact grew new leaves the following year. i could only conclude, that the droplets of water on those dark burgendy colored leaves, acted like a magnifying glass and burned up the leaves. the color of the leaves compared to the color of the grass may be the difference here. make any sense?