1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Striping kit for Turf Tiger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jet boater, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Jet boater

Jet boater LawnSite Member

Attached on movable bars directly behind deck. Used 1/4" chain...7 links each, except on ends (near tires.) Used that angle that comes pre-punched. I'd prefer heavier, but wasn't up to drilling a bunch a holes. Seems to hold up OK. Used a 1" spacer so it wouldn't hit the rear deck gearbox. Strips pretty good, but we're pretty dry right now.

2. Jet boater

And another

3. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

although i am very pleased with the striping abilty of my TT's, i once thought of making kits for them. the construction was going to be very similar to yours only i was going to fix it to the round tube(axle) you can see in the picture. that way, it works in any length of grass and/or cutting height selection. it seems that from your pic, it will only work when you are cutting maybe 4" or less. unless, of course, your deck is all the way up in the pics. if so, do you fear the chains bouncing up and getting into your d-shaft? that was a concern of mine when i was considering a kit.
    i suppose since you are a homeowner and use the TT for that alone, you probably cut the same height all the time or withing 1" or so.

great pics and kit!
  4. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Great point LawnSmith! I have wondered about this for some time. I had the same concerns you did about attaching the chains to the deck. My major concern was if you were mowing really low and backed up the chains could possibly contact the blades.

It seems to make more sense to hook the chains to that axle tube, as it solves these problems. The only problems I see with hooking the chains to the axle tube is that you cannot lift them to get them off the ground for loading/unloading the machine or driving on blacktop etc.

I do have a few questions about the setup.

1. Don't the chains make alot of noise.
    2. When you make turns or back up doesn't it enhance areas that you would rather not enhance?

Looks like you did a good job Jet Boater...thanks for the picks
  5. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Great Job Jet Boater on the chain striping kit.
    Ive seen this type of striping kit on the Dixie's like on Eric's website but never saw one on a Scag. Looks like it works great. Oh Jimbo, it looks as if the chain is short enough that when cutting and driving backwards doesnt get caught up in the blades, cause remember the back of the deck isn't where the blades are they are in a bit further. Plus with having it mounted back some and not on the deck it looks to be ok when mowing. Also i think the deck is in the up position so the chains do drag whereever you drive which means they will make some extra noise on pavement but its what the lawn looks like that counts. I have a rubber striping kit i put over that axle bar between the wheels, right now its not thick enough to make a difference so i have to work on it yet, doesnt touch the pavement cause its an inch off the pavement but on grass it touchs and drags. Im trying doubles now to see if that will help the striping effect
  6. Jet boater

I really had not thought about a chain jumping into the drive shaft but that's a good point. On thing I did notice after using it for the first time is that a little more trash gathered on the spinning intake screen of the engine. I think I'm going to add a short horizontal sheet metal guard on the top of the angle to take care of both of those items. I did make darn sure when I set the chain lengths that they couldn't get under a tire or into the deck!

The deck as you see it in the pix is in the down position at 4". I normally mow at that except for the first and last cut of the season when I set down to 3".
  7. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

dang, i must have a really good eye for TT's, LOL.