Striping kit for WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsylvain, Feb 5, 2002.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I remeber a thead from this time last year about striping kits for WB.

I made one for my wb out of ridged pipe.

Just buy 2 or 3 different size pipes (make sure they can slide inside each other) cut them to length and get the ends of the bigest pipe threaded. Then run some threaded rod through the smallest pipe and run that through the next pipe and so on. Get two caps for the ends of the threaded pipe drill holes in the center of the caps. Put the caps on the end of the pipes and attach it to your mower with some brackets there you go.

I think I spent about $20 and it took me a couple of hours to make.

Hope this helps someone out.

2. visions landscape

visions landscape LawnSite Member

what type of WB did you mount this on, and does it have reverse

3. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I was planning on making a striping kit for my w/b and am confused at what your steps to make this are. Where do you put the pipes and how do they latch to these brackets? What kind of pipe,PVC? It is pretty much a roller, right. It just pushes the grass down to make it look good.

4. RoewMow

RoewMow LawnSite Member

What about this instead??? I don't know how it will look(or if it's effective) but what about an old truck bed liner (better yet one from Big Lots O'Crud for $19.99). Cut into a 5-6" wide piece mounted to the trailing edge of your deck (screws?). Same basic idea just kind of lightly pushing down the grass. Plus you have enough excess material to make 12-16 more (some 5' some 4')Will that work or is it too cheezy?

5. You can Get a professial made one here walkbehind or ztr from Big League Lawns. They build stripe kits.

Please, no unsponsored mfg direct links. ..

6. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

It works fine in reverse. I had to play with it at first to get the right size brackets. if it is too long you keep stepping on it and if it is to short the back tires would run over it in reverse.

I used ridged pipe. I would think that PVC would be to light.

I'm sure how you would mount it would depend on your mower. I have a derby I just used to brackets one on each side of the mower. I'm sure you could try to hook it up so that it trails behind the mower like a velki but backing up would become a problem.

7. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

My dad made a striping kit with two clothes-line tubes, rolebar steel,and a old garage door which he used for bearings and angle brackets to mount. He cut the smaller pipe and filled it with sand and welded it into the outside tube with enough room for the garage door bearings to fit flush, then mounted it to the handel brackets on a 21" toro and that thing really lays down some awsome stripes. The sand gave it just the right weight he wanted. Im going to have him make two more for my hydros. Marks Mowing Service

8. plow kid

plow kid Banned

That wouldnt be because they are one of Eric Ericsons sponsors would it?~NaTe

9. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Noooo, that has nothing to do with it. Why would it? :confused:

10. olabob

olabob LawnSite Member
    from TX

Striping Kit. Correct me if I am wrong. Is this what you use to leave a line in the grass and make it look all pretty... ?