striping kit should be standard on ztrs.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Rookie, Jan 12, 2010.

1. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

How many on this forum think that striping kits should be standard equipment on all commercial ztrs including stand ons. We pay top dollar for our machines and I feel this is one little bell and whistle that should be standard. Finally, If the operator wants farmer mow, or race track mow he can easily remove it. I am tired of building custom stripers out of chains and flaps because I cant find a roller that will fit or am not patient enough to search high and low for one.
    :hammerhead::dizzy::sleeping:

2. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll say that every manufacturer who is serious about being in the commercial turf care industry should offer one as an accessory but there are a lot more machines out there running without striping kits than there are with.

Not to mention, a lot of Southern grass types don't stripe like our Northern stuff does

Q

3. we can stripe just as good without one. overrated.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would essentially agree except certain parts on a striping kit wear out within 1-2 seasons requiring replacement,
    I can just see how that wouldn't sit well with many an owner to have this choice taken away in favor of adding
    yet another (and at least somewhat) needless expense.

5. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

My scag's strip just fine without any kits

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

In my years here at Lawnsite I've heard countless people say they don't need a striper. Their mower does just fine and they don't need a striper. But... I can't remember ever hearing one single person say that they had one and ditched it because it didn't improve their stripes. I'm sure someone has but they're few and far between.

Stripers should be optional. There are plenty of companies out there that build universal stripers if your mower manufacturer doesn't offer one. I got mine from www.bigleaguelawns.com

The huge majority of lawn mowers never get a striper and the owner sees no need for one. I can very well assure you, I am one of the rare guys in my area with a striper. Even other LCOs are always asking me what that roller on the back of my mower is for.

7. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

This

Additionally to the OP. As your screen name implies...you have much to learn. Not knockin ya...just callin a spade a spade..

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Id rather see the suspension seat on a ZTR as a standard item...

Stripes don't help the grass grow any better, they don't help the quality of cut...just one more fixture or pivot point to grease, one more thing to get hung op on a curb, trailer gate, ect...

Think about your customers. if you told them you were were going to add $1 to their weekly bill so you could stripe it, how many would find a new landscaper... If scag told me they were upping their price $200 bucks for a striper....I'll spend my money elsewhere. now if they wanted to include a stripper, that may peak my interest...

9. really don't think you know.

10. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Huh? Reading comprehension slow this morning? I agreed with you...then directed the other comment to the OP...which isnt you.