Striping Kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kentang4, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Kentang4

Kentang4 LawnSite Member

Ok, so I'm not a LCO but I use to be when I was 12:) Still like mowing grass and finally bought a house with a lawn big enough to be an excuse for a zero turn. Decided on a used Turf Tiger, so far so good. I've always wanted to have a lawn with nice stripes so after surfing the net and these boards I decided that for $350 I could probably build something myself that would suffice...Here it is. Of course it started raining about the time I got it bolted on so I will have to wait another couple of days to report on how well it works.

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

no too bad, but that is going to bend on the first section of un-even ground you have. It needs to be able to go with the flow. I built my own and attatched it to the rear of my deck. It also works like a big anti-scalp wheel.
  3. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

I see it now...My forst impression was that a vertical cylinder (bud) will not do to good rolling lawn.

unless of course you duct tape many of them end to end.

I like the scag orange on that other roller you have there...matches nice.
  4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to allow that thing to flex backwards with a hinge, and use a spring or two to pull it forward. Otherwise, you'll end up high centered, or you'll bend something on your rig. Not a criticism, just a suggestion.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Just unbolt it and make a bushing where it will flex.
  6. Travis E

Travis E LawnSite Bronze Member

if the top bar (the one attached to the mower) is loose on the ends then it should flow back and forth...shouldn't it not? It is hard to tell from that picture if this is how you did it but if you didn't u should be able to just loosen the end bolts... You have a good concept their..hopes it works for you!
  7. Kentang4

Kentang4 LawnSite Member

Should have given more detail when I posted the pic. The top bolt that you can see going into the upper crossmember has about a 3/4" shoulder, so the whole thing can swing back and forth freely. As for springs, it shouldn't need them. The whole deal is pretty heavy with the metal rollers so it should stay in contact with the ground just fine. It's a first attempt, may need to be modified or relocated on the mower/deck.

8. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

that little striper cost you $350 to make:confused:
    I bought a Big League lawn striper for less than that.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

NO NO NO,a factory scag striping kit is $350
  10. Kentang4

Kentang4 LawnSite Member

This is a better close up of the hinged area...The metal tube that makes up the crossmember has a nut pressed and welded into the end of it so I just tighten the bolt and the exposed shoulder allows the whole deal to swing. Easy to replace when it wears out.

Definitely didn't pay $350, that's about what scag wants for a striping kit though.

Cost about $30 to make, $20 for the rollers and about $10 in materials.