striping kit ?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by recliner5, Jun 13, 2003.

1. recliner5

recliner5 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Any of you Hustler owners use doubles? I'm planning on getting some gator blades for my Hustler Z/ Kaw 25/ 60" deck. Should I just use gators or run doubles. If so should gators be on top and standard blades that came with mower be on bottom? As for striping kit could'nt a guy mount it right on back like on that big guard (metal) that has the name hustler cut out of it
    ( somewhere in that area ) even where tow hitch is. Anyone have any pictures where they have mounted theirs even chains? Any info would be appreciated. Terp

2. superman

superman LawnSite Member

Out of curiosity why are you interested in running gators or doubles? I have the same mower as you and I have no problems at all with the OEM Hustler high lifts that are on there. The mower cuts great as is, IMO.

3. WLLD

WLLD LawnSite Member

I run doubles on my Hustler Super Z 60w/ 23hp Kaw. I put them on before I ever used the machine as I like the way doubles worked on other machines. I am running Gators under the OEM blades. You have to replace the original blade bolt with one that is 1/4" longer.

Made both striping kits for the Z - chain and rubber flap. Made the chain kit first - but it tends to get bent when going over uneaven terrrain. Made the rubber flap afterward and get better results in my opinion.

I am hoping the Hustler engineers will come out with a roller for the Z - that seems to provide the best stripe from pictures in have seen on Lawnsite.

Shayne

4. recliner5

from Indiana

I had gators on other mowers than the stock ones they seemed to leave a better cut. My Z has stock I will try gators and see what the results are. Does your stripe good without a kit or anything don't get me wrong I really like my Z runs great that 25 Kaw is powerful, I would just like to have a better cut, maybe I'm too picky. Do you keep your Z busy? Maybe the pitch of my deck isn't set right I will have to check. Talk to you later superman. PS. That suspension seat is the berries!!! How much air pressure do you keep in your tires?

5. recliner5

from Indiana

Wlld could you just mount the rubber flaps to the back bumper? Where is your mounted? Thanks Terp

6. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Just bought a new hustler Z with the 24 hp honda. Any good or bad experience with this engine?

7. WLLD

WLLD LawnSite Member

Recliner5/Terp,
    I thought about mounting the rubber flap to the back bumper but was afraid with it being mounted so high it wouldn't provide enough down pressure to really law the grass over. I mounted mine off the black framework that mounts to the back of the deck. I will try to post some pictures - but we are dealing with very poor conditions to show the stripes - the sun won't shine with all of the rain.

Shayne

8. superman

superman LawnSite Member

recliner, I keep my z pretty busy. I am just part time so not as busy as some here. I love mine also. As far as air pressure goes, I have really been experimenting with it. I am at the owners manual recomended 12 right now, and I like it ok. I have tried everything from 10 to 20. When you start getting very far past 12 you bounce around alot more.

9. shasta

shasta LawnSite Member

I've got an old Hustler 305D (with the Ruggerini air cooled diesel) outfitted with a turflex striping kit. It's a set of chains that swing from a bar that adjusts up and down. It's made more for a Z type mower than the 305d, but works great for me (with a little adaptation). I'm considering replacing the mower with a 3000 series Hustler. (which are built more like the old 305d than 340's and other large models. Anyone have experience with 3000 series?

10. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There are a lot of 3000 series out there, we have been making them for many years.
    It is a awesome cutting unit and that diesel can not be beat.
    And the attachment versatility is second to none.
    There are a couple guys on LS that have them, they dont post very often.
    Let me know if you have any particular questions I can answer for you.
    E-mail me @ hustlerturfequipment@msn.com

Hope this helps
    Pj