Striping kits, do they help? Picture included

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric ELM, Apr 28, 2001.

1. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

This question was asked many times after I got mine last June. It was harder to tell at that time because I had already established my 2 or 3 different striping patterns on each lawn by then. Even thought Choppers do stripe fairly good, this spring I am realizing that it does help some now that I am putting in new ones. The picture below is of a second cutting for the spring and the first time this direction was cut and it is cut at 3".

[​IMG]

2. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

As usual, it looks good eric. :)

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Being a stripe addict myself,I just made up another stripe kit for a friends Dixie.I feel it does help.If you are starting a new pattern or reversing direction on an old pattern,it really seems to help then,more so then on "established patterns.It seems that without the stripe kit,it took a few cuts in that direction,to get the stripes to lay real good,now they lay nice the first time.Very nice work, Eric.

4. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

You are the master!

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

you guys really like these striping kits. i just got a new lazer and i dont have a striping kit. mine seems to stripe just as nice as your pic. i dont have pics, but just side discharging without a kit, the exmark really does a good job.

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

it looks phat .... ;->

7. Eric ELM

I am being told by several that their mowers stripes as good or better than mine. This doesn't surprise me at all, because I'm old and I can't drive as straight as I used to. I am not saying you need a kit, just saying it helps a bit. Mine does just fine without a kit too. Here is one without the kit. I'm sure you have a camera, go take a picture and show us. A picture is worth a thousand words, but it can also be several thousand pixels. ;)

[​IMG]

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

looks good eric. ill try and get some pics for you.

9. dhenegar

dhenegar LawnSite Member

I started out this year with my new roller on my Lazer(York Sheet). Man it really does help. Stripes are a lot better and it also virtually eliminates scalping. On my smaller yard if I really want the stripes to come out I will run over them twice.

10. Eric ELM

Dhenegar, I have thought of making a roller type for mine. Is yours spring loaded so it rolls over a sprinkler head that is up a fuz. Most of the lawns I do, the heads are all even or below the turf, so I don't think I would have a problem with that.

I am always looking for a better way to make stripes and improve the work I do. I like my lawns to stand out above the rest. ;)