Striping kits for walk behinds???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Patfo, Feb 4, 2001.

1. Patfo

Patfo LawnSite Member

Just wondering if anyone uses striping kits for their 36 in. walk behinds or even if such thing exists or is recommended? Does double blading help to make the stripes more noticeable? Thank you for youe feedback!

2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I'm also curious about a striping kit for my 48" walkbehind, whats out there and how well do they work? I'm thinking of making my own out of chain, such as the ones for dixie choppers.

3. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I tried it on my walkbehinds. The main problem i had was when backing up i kept running over the chains. Perhaps i did it wrong.

An idea i had was this, attach two rods to back of mower with lock nuts so they can still swing. Then (not sure of exactly HOW to do this but workinh on it) attach a piece of galvanized pipe between the two poles via berrings or something. Basically it is like a dough or cake roller on hinges that lets it hang somewhat freely.

My question is, does anyone know of a company or an idea that i can put behind my 21" Ariens push mower?

4. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

If you are looking for a striping kit for your airens 21", I know that Airens themselves sell a striper that will attach to any of their models. They offered this 2-3 years ago anyways, Im sure they still do. Check into it. Hope this helps.

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

There is some pictures on my site of a roller that a sheet metal compnay manufacturers for a commercial walk behind. You may be able to get some ideas

Good Luck!

6. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 36"snapper geardrive the stripes were good but i put a rubber belt over the bar that was already there i put the belt half way and folded it around bar then i screwed some drywall screws to temp.hold it till i got some bolts in it this wwill last as long as i have my mower when i mow this rubber drags the ground about 1foot and its hevy i think it works great nothing gets in the way
    as for dbl. blades thats the best thing i have learned here thanks to eric elm &chuck i am going to try chains on my chariot like the dexie choppers stripe kit
    hey eric are all those chain conected to each other or is it just chains single chains that hang down

7. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

The chains need to be a "non-tangle" type.

Some food for thought.

Barry

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

That is individual chains only attached at the top. The Dixie Choppers will stripe nice without the kit, but the kit does enhance the stripe some what.

9. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

thank you Eric.
    I will make one for my great dane chariot and let you all know how it work this spring.