1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Striping Kits- The best way to make them?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by elitelawnteam1, Feb 14, 2011.

1. elitelawnteam1

elitelawnteam1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36" ferris hydrowalk, and i'd like to add a striping kit, but they cost some coin, and i was wondering if anyone knows the best way to build a striper. My idea was to attach a small, hollow metal pole to chains attached to the mower, but i'm curious to see if there is a more effective way to get vivid stripes without buying the striping kit from the mfg. Post pics if possible, i'd like to see how you set it up.
    :help:

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

how's this one

P1010008.jpg

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Here are the results

yardstuff002.jpg

4. elitelawnteam1

elitelawnteam1 LawnSite Senior Member

amazing!, and that's not too hard to make either, do you know the length of the chain by chance?

5. c3wlandscaping

c3wlandscaping LawnSite Member

joes2, that lawn looks beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. lyndont

lyndont LawnSite Member

Looks great. I am in Oklahoma with mostly bermuda lawns. Would a stripe kit be worth building for that type of grass?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. lawnboy852

lawnboy852 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Best way to stripe northern grasses that will hold one is to set the deck up properly and find the right combo of blades etc. Kits are a pain, chains snag and bend and break things, flaps get eaten up, rollers are expensive (but can make awesome anti scalp devices at the rear of the deck!)

your southern grasses wont stripe much if at all.

The search is your friend here, tons of information on all of this!

8. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

Not to break balls or anything, but i would never go that route. Maybe a rubber flap or something else. Just think it looks and sounds tacky. I mean, doesn't the mfg make one? I can't imagine you saved that much over what you made.

9. jgriff6258

jgriff6258 LawnSite Member

get a mudflap off a semi trailer they are heavy and work well, and cut it to yhe size you want, you can also buys weights for them at the truckstop, if you can find an old one you will have a very cheap kit and works very well

10. Raceral

Raceral LawnSite Member

Hey guys.. thanks , thats my yard. I cannot tell you how good that homemade kit works. Its even better in May. That picture was taken in about early April.
    That is a fairly new yard and not even filled in good yet.