1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Striping Lawns

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rob Spread & Spray, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Rob Spread & Spray

Rob Spread & Spray LawnSite Member

Why is it that I stripe new lawns or lawns that were previously stressed with my Permagreen? I can run a full route all day but the one lawn that was just recently installed (3-4 weeks old) or I have one lawn that stripes every time.

I dont do anything different on these lawns. The one lawn I went back and criss crossed it and it striped again. Tire mark to tire mark is 6 to 7 feet.
  2. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

could it be that new lawns or "the one mystery lawn" have soil chemistry out of whack and therefore are very "hungry" for certain nutrients and therfore you get the striping effect?

That would be the first place I would look
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What Permagreen do you have? Spyker or Lesco hopper?
  4. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen this happen to others. I belive it to be a product of the turf strarving for nutrients. Make sure you do not go too long after your first application before you do another. Also, make sure you have a healthy % of slow release with some FE for color uniformity. Soil test are always the ticket to an accurate read of the soil profile. I have been shocked before when I've gotten test back for newly installed lawns. We had one that to balance the PH required 156lbs of lime per k. Not doing that over night.
    One other thing I've noticed from the guys with permagreens that may help is that often I see thier track marks way too far apart. that would give you a definite strip on you "new" lawns that might not be as obvious on more mature ones. Make sure your coverage it even and not light in between swaths.
  5. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

as dumb as its sounds, your problem is most likly just a matter of cleaning the spinner. after spreading all day you will get a build up of material on the spinner, this build up effects the placement of fert on the spinner and will effect the swath width. this happens ALOT with damp weather and also i find that it happens more so when i'm using fert w/ iron. i make it a point to clean the spinner (or atleast check it) after every bag. also, check your port holes, sometimes you can get a build-up of depries around the hole(s) or a clog and this too will effect spread. takes less then 2 seconds to check and 10 seconds to clean if needed. when cleaning the spinner, use a piece of wood, or the like (i use a stick most of the time) anything hard will scratch the spinner and could cause problems.
  6. Rob Spread & Spray

Let me start by telling everyone that I have been doing this for 15 years, and have been in business myself since 1997!

Its not the paddle or the port holes.

I did do a soil test and it came back as needing Pro Mag 36. 2 to 3 applications as a matter of fact, and it wasnt cheap as it needed a lot of it.

pH 7.0

Avail Ca 6340 which seemed to be high.

CEC 17.4

Low P and Mg

Im with Grazer on this. My fert is 50% SR with 2% Fe.

I went back and hit both lawns again to blend in the color.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, again...what type of hopper are you using?
  8. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

speaking of new lawns....we are very leary of hydro seeded lawns (which these days most are). seems they toss in an all chemical 19-19-19 with their seed slury. These lawns are always very tough to get a uniform color.
  9. Rob Spread & Spray

Sorry Joe, I have the black hopper on it!