striping lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nmcmn, Jul 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nmcmn

nmcmn LawnSite Member

I need help! I'm importing a mower from England that stripes & cuts grass like you have never seen. We sell them to golf courses at the present. I have sold 2 of these machines to friends to stripe & cut their lawn. They both are very pleased with the results. The mower is driven with a rear roller just like a greens mower.
    I was wondering if there was a market for the machine with lawn care professionals. The machine is 22" wide. Has a grass basket for clippings. It picks every blade of grass it cuts. Stripes like you have never seen. Costs $1,610 plus freight. It's not cheap, but nothing stripes like this machine. Nor does anything pick up like this machine.
    Any thoughts?

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

hehehe!!!!!! got thoughts?? Heck yea! For a 22" manual push reel type mower- $1610, GET A LIFE! Go get one for less than $300 with a catcher at Lowes, Home Depot whatever with a roller on it too.

3. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I do think there is a market for your mower (even though others here may say different). I would try to market to either us lawn pros that only handle stamp size or very small properties, or maybe a homeowner who likes to take care of their lawn and likes what you have. Problem is convincing everyone that $1600 is fair for this machine. Good luck and keep us (or me) posted on your progress.

If you need some R&D I will try one out for testing.....just a thought for you! I would love to see some photo's. Email me all your info if you can sometime! :)

4. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

striping with a small mower is possible without paying 1600 and i've got pictures to show it, but i would like to compare any pics you have with some of my own.. what brand is this thing? does the manufacturer have a website that we could check them out with? here's one of mine done with a 21" honda with a roller attached to it

keener1 014.jpg

5. AielLandscaping

here's another one

stripes3.jpg

6. AielLandscaping

ok this is the last one for now

vieria1 035.jpg

7. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

These stripes are done with a 30" Rear Engine Rider, not rollers, chain kits, just deck pitch set at 1/4" lower in the fron than the back:

stripe 1.jpg

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

well i gotta be honest . your mowers merits good stripe and pick up the grass are allready covered pretty good by whats out their now.1600 plus frgt ,say 2000. unless u shipping from england.
    just too much money . now if she got remote controll or somethin,it would sound more interesting to me.
    in any case good luck w u venture
    ps . if u could show some pictures
    of the machine and its work ,might make everybody take interest. then u become a sponcer and the things u see here, eventually u see in the field locally.
    all depends on the real merit of the machine.

9. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

Can you show me a picture of your Honda with the roller?

10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

nmcmn,

I believe that I have seen the type of mower you are refering to on some English and European lawn-oriented books. Big drive roller in the rear and a hopper in the front to catch the clippings? If so, i agree with you...some of the best defined stripes I've ever seen...and I've seen a bunch here at LawnSite. Whereas most of the stripes I've seen here show lines, tire tracks, and the individual blade/chamber lines, the mower you are promoting just leaves a perfect, well-defined stripe...right? If so...Fantastic. :)

As most of us tend to be "production" mowers I feel that the machine may not be fast/productive enough to meet most of our needs...unless the LCO is into nothing but very upscale, well-paying lawns.

Me? I would like more info on your machine. I have a zoysia lawn and I believe that the machine you are speaking of would be perfect for giving it that premo-manicured look. Thatch is a big problem with the zoysia so the catcher would really be a plus for my application. I have been thinking about doing a serious leveling and topdressing job on my lawn, and then getting a good reel mower to use on it ....exclusively. For making money (clients lawns) I'll have to stick with the Lazer Z w/ the 60" deck.

Post up some more info and pictures...and good luck! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.