striping of southern lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fisher of men, Dec 9, 2003.

1. fisher of men

fisher of men LawnSite Member

can striping of southern lawns be done? I live in Central Texas where the St. Augustine grass is one of common grasses. thank you for any help in this matter.

William

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

3. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

heres a st aug lawn

striped.jpg

4. fisher of men

what is the cut hight? 3 1/2 inches?
    thank you very much for the photos!

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

wow. thats poretty good. it sucks having st augustine and bermuda down here. its really hard to stripe. but ive got rye down on my lawn now and it looks great!

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

mine is set at 4"

7. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Promo,

What are the lawn conditions like, soil type, fert apps, and other treatments. It looks really great and I would love to at least try to get my lawn up to par the that pic. My lawn has dallas grass and is pretty thin compared to what you have there. If I can get mine that thick I know it would take care of the weed problems.

8. fisher of men

I will be starting a part time lawn care company in New Braunfels, tx this coming season. I am looking at a John Deere 21 inch JS63 lawn mower. The Lawn Mower will be used on small residential lots 50 x 100. I would like to get some stripes on some of these lawns if possible. Think it can happen with only a 21 inch mower? Also what I hear is John Deere push mower. Any Comments?

thank you

William

9. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I have made some light stripes with my JD14sb. It is really hard to do on st. aug. but it can work if you repeat the same pattern every time. Bermuda on the other hand will not stripe.

10. woodycrest

woodycrest LawnSite Senior Member

Here's the js 61...The js 63 the same except it has 3 speeds

deere 002.jpg