striping on a st augustine yard?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slikrick, Sep 17, 2004.

1. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

i see a lot of you striping yards but your up north w/ the bluegrass and such which from what i hear stripes nice. i was wondering if anyone stripes st augusting? thats pretty much all i have down here w/ a mix of bahia and bermuda. i really like the look and was thinking of buying a roller to do that next year but wondered if it would actually work on the st augustine? anyone down in florida doing that?

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

You can do it but it just won't have as pronounced effect as the northern grasses have.

3. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

have you ever tried it? or do you ever do it? or is it a waste of time and money?

4. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

I agree w/ mowerman. yes we have tried it, and do it on some of our residential properties. It looks cool, but not as good as northern grasses. of all that we have tried bahia stripes the best

5. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

cool, thanks for the input! do you by chance have any pictures of any youve done? also, do you charge more to do it or do you just do it?

6. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

sorry no pics and like I said the only ones we stripe are our nicer residential properties so we just bump our price per man hour up a little and that covers it

7. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple St. Augustine lawns that I am able to leave somewhat of a stripe on. Deffiantly nothing compared to the stripes I see posted on here. I do this without a roller or any such device. I thought about trying to rig some type of roller up on my mower, but I figured I was the only one who noticed the stripes I did have. Also most of my St. Aug. lawns are so small I can hardly even complete a couple straight lines. I took a couple pictures with one of those disposable cameras, but it will probably be some time before I get it developed.

8. mowerman90

Here's a pic of a corner lot that seems to stripe fairly well.

9. mowerman90

Oops, here it is

Maltese2.JPG