1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Striping question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bleach, Jun 21, 2007.

1. bleach

bleach LawnSite Member
    from VA

I'm new to all of this, and the striping pictures really look good.
    Somebody asked me do you stripe and cut the grass at the same time? Or cut, then strip?
    I told him time is money and I would think you do both at the same time.
    I've got a Hustler mini z with 52" deck and think I'd like to get one or make one. I read that they are no longer available for mini z?
    thanks for any help
  2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

There are basically 3 major types of striper's- chain, roller, and mud flap. I feel the mud flap style would work the best with the least issues. Ideally though, your mower should stripe pretty good on its own.

Here are some pics from a yard I did today (do it twice a year while they are on vacation, I am gonna try REAL hard to get this yard full time though). There are no modifications to the mower to improve striping.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

And everyone here says Dixon mowers are junk... HA! My Dixon stripes just as well (without the chain striping kit that I finally just removed). I'm just too lazy, or insanely BUSY, to stop and walk around and take pictures!
  4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

That's probably a good idea.

If you stripped first, then you'd be riding your mower naked...
  5. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI