1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

striping question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hawkeye, Jan 26, 2008.

1. hawkeye

hawkeye LawnSite Member

Do you get more defined stripes behind the mower if you are side discharging or mulching?
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I side discharge with a mulch kit minus the chute blocker, with gators. Leaves pretty good stripes in southern grass.
  3. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

WAY better when mulching. Mulching leaves very fine clippings, so that the stripes are not obscured. They are hidden more when discharging. I wish I could get away with mulching all the time, but in Michigan -- no way. I'm looking forward to trying the "improved" gator blades this coming season -- they are supposed to mulch grass finer, yes discharge it better than the first generation gators. Has anyone tried the new gator blade yet?
  4. naturesway

naturesway LawnSite Member

I have found that mowing w/out a bag is better. But I mow at 3.5" and the side bag sometimes pushes the grass down making a stripe and a half instead of two defined stripes. I use gator blades and love them. I just purchased a striping kit for my rider and will let you all know how it looks when the snow melts!
  5. hawkeye

hawkeye LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help regarding my striping question but I am kind of confused on something. Are gator blades strictly for mulching or do you use them for side discharging and/or mulching? I guess what I am asking is if they act like a regular mower blade but just on a better quality level? Thanks
  6. silentbob

silentbob LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hawkeye, the gators can be used for both bagging/side discharge and mulching. I use gators on all my machines (2 Exmark 52" Lazers and 1 52" Turf Tracer) for all conditions and they work great. They finely chop the grass and let it fall back into the lawn, rather than stay long and lay on top of the freshly cut grass (which also screws up your stripes). The only time I switch back to the high-lift straight blades is for spring/fall cleanups where they work better to suction the leaves into the bags. They also are a little tougher on sticks and such when you hit them by mistake. Hope this helps...
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think it depends, I have always used high lifts on my 48" fixed Turbo force decks, just what I find works best.

My recommendation is try a set of either, see which one you like.
  8. hawkeye

hawkeye LawnSite Member

thanks for the info guys but as you can tell I am new to all this- are the high lift straight blades you guys are referring to the stock blades that come on the mower- thanks
  9. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

what can you tell me about the new and improved gators, i use gators on everything , have not seen or heard about these before:)
  10. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw an ad for them last year. But they may be Gator Magnums. They are thicker and have more lift. I'm going to try a set this spring.