Striping Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheChiefsLawnCare, May 6, 2008.

1. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I live in the New Orleans area and we don't stripe our yards. So Im clue less when it comes to this. Do yall charge extra money when you stripe the yard, or is that like an included package like edging and trimming is. If so, how much does it cost to do that.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I tell you my experience...

I think personally, the first years are hard enough without worrying about all that, I mean you can do a search here and learn all about it but it's really not that big of a deal either. And personally unless you just have to do it, I might recommend worrying about more important things, but that's just me.

Yes, it does look pretty when done right...
    But it is time consuming, it's hard on the lawn, it distracts the mind to the point the mower will damage other things, and it's included at no extra charge. We (I) do it out of love, for the job, for the customer, for whatever but it's out of love or maybe determination or dedication or one or more of them there things.

That is, it is some thing a few super nutso Lco's such as myself do, probably to relieve boredom but also to impress upon folks that we've been around the block, fine. But I didn't get into it until my 5th year and it took a long time and I mean it's all right but obviously a lot of Lco's don't fool with it and it doesn't appear to affect their revenue stream.

So it's entirely up to you, what you do regarding stripes.

3. mlyons1

mlyons1 LawnSite Member

the people that i mow for does not care if you stripe their yard they just want it mowed and mowed low and they want you to be dependable.

4. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

I agree with mlyons1. Most of my customers are the same way.

I do it mainly because I like how it looks. I haven't heard many customers comment on it so I doubt many of the older folks notice. I do hear them say "I've gotten a lot of comments on the yard..." but never specifically for stripes. I have an ebay roller on my 60" Lazer ztr and big league lawn roller on a viking walkbehind.

I don't charge any different. I don't know of any faster way to cut, and the only time it may take a little longer is if it's really high and I decide to go back over a few stripes. Honestly, it's much more of a pride/enjoyment for myself than something a customer wants. I like driving by those places later in the week just to get an eyeful. : )

Call it what you will, but i love seeing the difference from other yards around the properties I cut.

5. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Why do you think this is hard on the lawn? As long as you do it right, I don't think it would cause damage. Do you have any pics of damage from striping?

I use a Walker so I'm not to concerned about damage. The stripes always look great.

6. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

Sure doesn't seem to hurt or damage major league baseball diamonds. Heck, even the soccer fields are starting to get crazy with striping...I need some proof.....

7. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

i think what he means by damage, is when you stripe, you drive in the exact same place every time you cut the lawn, no matter the size or mower type, the lawn gets worn out whare the wheels go over. As for me i stripe the lawns up and don't charge extra, i don't like the way it looks if you don't stripe it. besides i think i have o.c.d when itt comes to this because when it comes to this if it is not perfect, i do it till it is, because it drives me nuts.

8. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I was just wondering what striping lawns was all about cause there is so many posts about striping. thought maybe it was like a necessity to the other states. But here in New Orleans area, we jus cut and worry about making the cut look good, at least thats what i do. I have yet to see a yard striped in my area. Thanks for the info., now i have some sort of insight.

9. windsory

windsory LawnSite Member

Striping is the most efficient and fastest way to cut a lawn. How else do you cut? Overlapping the widths of your deck so you're cutting the same area twice, that is definitely going to take less time. Or do you cut in circles, racetrack style? Striping uses the maximum width of the deck by not overlapping on each pass. I don't know of any guys that don't stripe.

10. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

quoted by ribbie 78, ... Honestly, it's much more of a pride/enjoyment for myself than something a customer wants. I like driving by those places later in the week just to get an eyeful. : )

Call it what you will, but i love seeing the difference from other yards around the properties I cut.

I feel the same, just pride in the job that you do makes all the difference!