striping question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JasonFlippin, May 13, 2003.

1. JasonFlippin

JasonFlippin LawnSite Member

How do you guys put these awesome stripes in the lawns. I have a 36" gravely and a 48" Ferris and neither machine leaves stripes like your guys'. I would really like to know the trick. Thanks
  2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Good grass, sharp blades and proper deck pitch. Those are the easiest. You can add weighted flaps, chains or rollers to really enhance them. I use an eXmark flap with threaded rod in the bottom to weight it down a little. I get really good stripes that will last for quite a while.
  3. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

The biggest key is in the grass. Southern grasses do not stripe well, or at all. Northern grasses do very well.

Cutting height has a lot to do with it as well. If you are trying, make sure your height is at least 3", but 3.5" - 4" will make a huge difference.

Just experiment a little and you will see! :D
  4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

A striping ROLLER! :)
  5. crazygator

Yes this CAN help, but grass type is the key here. Most southern grasses cannot stripe very well or at all.

So a roller would do you no good at all!
  6. JasonFlippin

JasonFlippin LawnSite Member

I am in the midwest so I dont think I would suffer from the southern grass but I don't know. I will try to raise the deck right now I think its still set at 3"
  7. crazygator

3" is not bad, but like I said earlier you will see a marked difference by going to 3.5". This higher you cut the more grass blade is there to be bent or laid over causing the striping effect look. I have seen some done at 4" and it looked really really awesome.

Plus remember to follow the same pattern for a couple of weeks to get the pattern established. Then go diagonal to the first pattern, then alternate between the 2 and you should have a nice stripe going.

With your location your grass type should stripe good.

I just got a new digital camera this Monday, so when I can I will post you and for others as well some pictures of my Fescue customers stripes. My mothers lawn is plaid, and yes this is because I have a roller on my Exmark Lazer HP, and due to me aerating and seeding with Fescue. Its trully awesome!

Good Luck!
  8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Y'all say southern grasses won't stripe that well? That is largely true, but our fescues can stripe quite well if using the right equipment.

Here is one for you though.....

Most think you cannot stripe bermudagrass. Here is my Tifway berumudagrass lawn mowed at 1" with a 25" Trimmer Reel mower. It has the Honda 5.5 HP engine.

The stripes are not strongly defined...but they are there.

In the fall I sometimes overseed it with annual or perennial ryegrass. We are talking some serious stripes with that type of turf.

9. crazygator

And these are southern or northern grasses?

Just to help others understand!
  10. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

It's all a matter of context....

If southern grasses meant - grasses we typically use in the south I am still in context.

By formal definition, the only true warm season grass I mentioned above was bermudagrass. All the others are cool-season grasses which are not thought of as southern grasses.