Striping Roller Advice sought !

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by XB 2002, Feb 20, 2007.

1. XB 2002

XB 2002 LawnSite Member
    Male, from St.Amant, LA

I am currently building a Striping roller for a 60" Lazer Z. How low does the roller have to "set" when in service ? Should the bottom of it be the same level as the anti - scalp wheels that it replaces ? I am making a replica of the one exmark sells but I am using 3" Aluminum pie instead of Stainless steel tubing. Thanks for any tips in advance.
    XB 2002:dancing:
  2. XB 2002

XB 2002 LawnSite Member
    Male, from St.Amant, LA

Anybody using one ???

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a scag,rough guess less than 2 inches from the ground.
  4. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I used to run a mudflap on my old 727A, but got a new 797 so I'm trying to advance my skills. I have a few accounts that I do core aerations for and to access their backyards I have to go thru some short sections of wooded area. The mudflap would gather leaves and debris as I rolled thru the woods to get to the backyards. So now I'm working to create a roller attached to the rear of the deck (replacing the rear anti scalp wheels) that would raise up with the deck in the tranport position.

I'm making mine run about 1/2 inch above the ground when the deck is at 2.75 inches position (but I mow at 3 inches at the lowest unless the customer insists). The roller runs the length of the 72" deck and is spring loaded so it will spring up if it hits anything instead of damaging the roller or deck.
  5. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

i was told the best setting is to put the deck at the heigth you run, and you should be able to pu your hand just under the kit, so 1" or less

thats the way i run mine, great results. i'm careful also, i pick my deck up a lot so i don't ruin my striper on any unknown objects.
  6. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Why don't you just use the Exmark one? It is adjustable, I believe, for your cutting height. And a lot less trouble than making one.
  7. XB 2002

XB 2002 LawnSite Member
    Male, from St.Amant, LA

My Dad has a Lathe and some 3" Aluminum pipe. We used some old bearings that I had so it really isn't costing anything and My Dad is retired and likes to play with the lathe. The Exmark one is nice, but very pricey for something so simple. I just wasn't sure where to set it. Mine will be adjustable as well.:weightlifter:
  8. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

i make em for walkbehinds and riders and make mine so they lay ontop of the grass without pressing down on it. Just enough to bend the grass. Mine are just like the Scag Turf Tiger design. You want to make sure you allow it to go over things(stumps, debris, etc).
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If yo are using aluminum, I wouldn't waste you time or aluminum. These things take a BEATING! The first stump, rock, or pipecap that yu hit, it will be trashed. remember, once it gets bent, it will deteriorate those bearings, or probably wont even turn at all, and causing the stripe to look funny due to the U shape of the sag in the bend. I have one of the original striping rollers made from stainless that was out before Exmark even started selling them. It was a few hundred dollars, and if I was going to do one today, I would make one with the chain method. They work just as well if not better (actually has some stripe design benefits), and is so simple in design and inexpensive to make.