Striping Roller Bearing

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Blessed 1, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

My roller for my striping kit came off over the weekend. One of the bearings on the end that fits on the peg was lost. What is the part # for the bearing so I can order a replacement. I also need the maintenace manual that came with the striping kit. If you can please email the manual to

2. Blessed 1

I called and the p/n is 103-5662. $75 You guys are sure proud of this bearing.

3. slb917

slb917 LawnSite Member

CHeck the other bearing, sometimes there is a manufacturers number on it and your local auto parts or bearing shop can cross the number.

4. Blessed 1

After inspecting the bearing that is left it is bad. You can feel the bearings inside turning ruff. What is the warranty on these?

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Blessed1,

You'll need to take it in and have it inspected. The warranty on accessories is 90 days from the date of purchase.

Thanks

Terry

6. Blessed 1

I had them checked out today. Both bearings needed replacing and the tip the roller is worn really bad on one end. The outer 1/2 inch of the tip on the roller is unusable. From what I see once those tips are shot the roller is shot. I am only part time and have only put 190 hrs on my machine in 11 months. Seems a little soon to have to replace $140 worth of bearings. What is the maintenance instructions on these. At this price I know that I will not be reinstalling it (striping kit) until the spring to keep the wear down.

7. eXmark

Blessed1,

You are correct, 190 hours isn't very much for that bearing.

It sounds like we need to look into finding a less costly bearing. Also did you find that the bearing sleave/collar assy that slides onto the shaft was cracked at all?

Terry

8. Blessed 1

On one side the bearing had came out of the collar and was missing all together. When this happened the roller came off. The bearing on the other end of the roller stayed on the peg on the end of the roller and came out of the housing. The peg end that the bearing was missing had worn down about 1/2 inch from the end. JJ (Service Manager @ Westover L&G) had to burn off the 1 bad bearing because it was seized on. We could not get a allen wrench to turn the allen screw in the collar and he had to burn it off as well. I still have not reinstalled the new bearings and don't know if its going to be possible with 1/2 missing from the peg at the end of the roller. Please advise.

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

You can buy bearings for around ten bucks from an auto supply house or a bearing supply house.
    Sorry Terry but this is one place where I part ways with exmark.
    Making money on accessories is expected but $75 for a ten dollar bearing?
    Shameful.

10. eXmark

Blessed1,

I did talk to JJ this a.m. WOW did he have some good things to say about you. All I can say is thank you for your patience and working so well with Westover and JJ.

JJ explained to me where the shaft was damaged and what he did in his inspection. You should be in good shape. The damage on the shaft will not effect the bearing. If it had been a little farther in we would have a big problem but that's not the case here.

Yours is a strange failure because the bearing housing failed. I'm not sure why but I suspect that the one failure caused the other. I just can't say with any certainty what caused the first one to let loose though.

The long and the short of it is that you should give JJ a call. The good guys always win.

Thank you again and please give JJ a call.

Terry