striping roller for STHM

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, May 15, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I made a striping roller for the STHM today, cost about $20 at Lowe's (had a few things laying around but not more than $5 worth). Simply two peices of flat steel, two bolts & nuts, some washers, two cotter pins, one peice of 1/2" rod, one peice of 1/2" pipe, 1 of 1", one of 1 1/2", one of 2", and one peice of 3" PVC on top. The mower stripes good w/o this but I wanted something to help hide the third wheel mark. It seems sturdy enough and goes over bumps and curbs forward no problem. I have a bungee cord I hook it up with to trailer it. It is pretty heavy. When my grass grows more I will get side by side comparison with it down and with it up :)

may15#63.jpg

2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

looks good, might want to be careful in turns. Might want to use smaller lengths of rollers so they will turn better. I could be wrong though. at least your trying.:)

maybe something like this, your on the right track

mvc-004s.jpg

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I've taken it on all sorts of turns on grass, ashpalt, etc. and no problems. It pretty much slides on turns, but the mounting arms have some give in them so if it hit something it might push over then spring back. Reverse isn't posing a problem either, even over some bumps. Since this isn't a true zero turn machine I see no need for split roller, but if I wanted to I'd just cut the PVC in 8" sections... I would have made it deck mounted like yours, but it isn't a floating deck, it's fixed so it wouldn't work good at all, would be constantly hanging up on stuff and getting the mower stuck.

4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good job. :)

Now lets see some pics of the stripes it makes. :)

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

OK. This is a 2 1/2 acre yard that is mowed with a 60" rear mount mower on a utility tractor, always in the same direction (90o to my stripes). Rough as can get not just from the ruts... I was bored and wanted to push my Scag to the edge if thats possible so I volunteered to mow it. Took 55 minutes (was taking them 2 hrs with same size deck!). Going about 6-6.8 mph depending how rough. It's mostly clover and other weeds. It was very tall...the mower did very good, no lack of power anywhere! Mowed at 3.5" tall.

It's not really a striping lawn.....

may16#77.jpg

6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

That look terrible! Crooked and all.

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I know, but you have no idea how incredibly rough that is.. I bounced off the seat several times when I was only going 5mph over those spots... Luckily this mower has a foot safety switch instead of a seat switch. If it was a paying customers lawn I would have gone alittle slower and tried very hard to keep it straight. It was very tall also. Like i said, mostly clover and junk, not very stripe-able.

Some was very rough near where they are doing some sort of water drainage work. Potholes that would swallow a 21" whole, just to the left of where you could see in the last pic (prop goes way back). I actually got stuck like twice but not muddy just so big they swallowed the drive tires!

8. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

This is something that I will never understand, a person will volunteer to do a job and then not do it as well as if they were getting paid. Why volunteer if you are not going to do your best? IMO if you are going to volunteer or donate your skills, you should do your best and not just rush through it. That way others will look at it and say wow, if that guy will do that good on a volunteer job he will probably do even better if I hire him to do my yard or whatever.

9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with you crazygator, that looks like ****!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be ashamed to post a pic.

10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I know, but you have no idea how incredibly rough that is..

Should have bought a DC, then you could have went 12 MPH, LOL, I know rough lawns, have a few myself, would love to see people go faster the 3-5 mph on them.

But ya that lawn does look pretty bad.:)